Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Internet KEEPS DYING ALL THE TIME.

This is **bleep** infuriating. You keep raising the price of this god damn broadband every single year. If I'm not mistaken I'm paying ~55 every single month. All in all I don't mind the cost but what I do find infuriating is your quality of service that you provide.

My connection keeps cutting off/dying for a few seconds at some random intervals. Could be every 2 mins for a few times but it could also be once every hour or sometimes it's perfectly fine.... The last 2 days have been hell. Can you either send a replacement router or send an engineer to look into this ASAP?

Speed itself isn't the issue - it's connection randomly dropping. Tried WIFI too - same **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet KEEPS DYING ALL THE TIME.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible internal and external co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some more troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I also have this problem and am trying to post the info you suggested.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d0e229c0a8175958b7ed54e74d0ffcb14e... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It won't let me copy and paste my hub info!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@VMMJG1 wrote:

Any warnings or indications of the reason why ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@VMMJG1 wrote:

Ignore the html error and just click post again and it will post it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot 2020-11-01 at 13.54.05.png

Added as scScreenshot 2020-11-01 at 13.54.44.pngScreenshot 2020-11-01 at 13.55.55.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

We suffer issues on all devices (phones, PCs, ipads, Macbook Pro, iPhones). I notice on my MBP that it takes away my IP address and then reassigns a new one (sometimes). Sometimes it won't reassign an IP address so I can't reconnect. I force it by turning off and on Wi-Fi which sometimes works. We have a 200Mbps line and even at a distance on WiFi I get 60 down and 20 up. Speed is not the issue, it's the flaky connection and it's verging on unusable.

I noticed the last time I logged into the router the setup for the guest network changed like there's now an extra layer of security. My wife's PC is notifying her of an old level of security (WPA2 apparently ought to be WPA3?!)

Anything else I can tell you??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Several of your Downstream Power Levels are too high.

This will need an engineer to put right.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

Mike Robinson

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So the last time engineers came to the property (to change the location of a feed into the house from one room to another) they mentioned that the 'signal was too strong'. That seemed strange that it could be too strong (to me as a lay person) but they said it was just above the normal range. I believe they tried to bring it down but didn't get it back in range. I did wonder if that might be having a bearing on things as it feels like around that time when things started to get worse - hard to tell as broadband can be troublesome for everyone for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to review my information and respond to my messages. By any chance do you know how to get through to a human being on the phone? I've found it to be quite tricky!

Thanks Mike

0 Kudos