cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Intermittently Cutting Out

garetht1985
Tuning in

Having a tricky issue and looking for some help. 

Throughout the day, my internet cuts out for a minute or so before reconnecting. Seems to happen more when I’m using more bandwidth, particularly video conferencing with work. The WiFi signal remains active but I lose all connection. Happens to all devices simultaneously so can’t be the work laptop or anything like that. Happens far less frequently on evenings and weekends so at a loss on what could cause it. 

Issue started maybe 6 weeks ago but has grown more frequent ever since. Starting to impact my home working, particularly as I’m the guy who keeps disappearing from video calls!

Router is a Superhub 3 and it’s a 100mb fibre connection that was flawless up until this issue. 

All suggestions appreciated, cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Is the connection any more stable using an ethernet cable connected device ?

It can be difficult diagnosing problems without some basic information.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

82 REPLIES 82

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Is the connection any more stable using an ethernet cable connected device ?

It can be difficult diagnosing problems without some basic information.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Well this might have been more straightforward to diagnose than first though. Phoned the automated line and told there’s a complex fault in the area which likely explains things. Weird thing is that the My Virgin Media website says no local issues. 

Thanks for sharing the number - at least I know there’s nothing I can do until that fault solved. 

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the post Garetht1985.

Can we please confirm how your services are today? 

Thanks, Emily.

Hi Emily,

Unfortunately, today has been a pretty bad one. I think I’ve had 3-5 disconnects throughout the day. Have checked the 0800 number and there’s no longer a fault in the area so I do think the issue is specific to me.

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update, I've taken a look and it does look like there's an area fault in progress at the moment so sorry this wasn't listed when you called. 

I'll include the information on this below, if this doesn't show on the service status methods you can quote the below reference to any agent for an update following the estimated repair time.

Reference: F008388589

Estimated repair time: 08 SEP 2020 18:00

Thanks, Emily.

llyrthomas94
Joining in

I have been having the exact same issue. When myself or my girlfriend are on conference calls the internet cuts out and although my wifi signal is still connected it says 'not secured' and there's no internet until I disconnect and reconnect to the router.

The issue is on multiple devices so it's not the devices.

Hi IIlyrthomas94, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry that you're having some issues with the internet as well as the delay in getting back in touch, we have been busier than normal. 

I have had a look at the back end of things using the details you used when joining the community and I can see that there is a known issue in your area. 

The reference for this is F007911741 and it's due to be fixed on the 6th October at 13:30. Whilst this is being fixed you may notice some intermittent issues so I can only apologise for that. 

Once the fixed date has passed, if you're still having problems please pop back to we can provide an update. 

Emma_C - Forum Team

Hi Emma,

What is the nature of the issue and repairs that will be done? When checking the Service Status on my account, I see that there are no known issues with Broadband:

Capture.PNG

Any idea why that would be the case?