Menu
jakjack1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Internet Dropouts

Hi 

Having a bit of a weird issue, internet browsing for the most part, is fine. However as soon as you try to do anything "intensive" on the network, HD Video Calls, Gaming etc latency goes through the roof and it becomes unuseable.

This is making working from home rather difficult and I find myself tethering to my phone for a more reliable connection.

Mvtcrr0

I am using a rather old HUB 3, is it possible to get a replacement possibly in the first instance? Anyone able to offer any insite if they can see anything wrong there?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Dropouts

Yes your down power levels are too high on many channels (max is +10dBmV) and the high postRS error counts on some channels suggests you are experiencing "noise". And one up channel has dropped to 32qam and is struggling.  To sort this requires a VM tech visit. Call in and get one sorted. Calling at 08.00 (09.00 - Sun) is the best time to get through quickly.

Also, in the meantime... if you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
jakjack1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I've been on-hold trying to get through for 45 mins now, hopefully someone answers soon!

I've created a new monitor as advised, see how it goes. 

My Broadband Ping - Home2021

0 Kudos
jakjack1
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Managed to get through after 1:10 on hold.

Woman was most unhelpful, ran through the usual spiel of when did you last reboot etc, said she couldn't find anything wrong and that I would have to call back if it carried on.

After some instance from myself she eventually caved and booked us an engineer for Tuesday but was very unhelpful.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's not unusual from VM's offshore CS agents unfortunately.

But on a brighter note she didn't just put the phone down on you, or transfer you to someone else and go on hold for another hour, or tell you someone will call you back within the hour, or that she has just sent a signal to the hub that will clear the problem within an hour, or some other spiel they have written in their "How to get rid of troublesome callers" handbook.

You at least got the right result, assuming the engineer's appointment happens 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos