forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Reply
MichaelJF80
  • 13
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
188 Views
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittently slow broadband

Morning, 

So for around the past 2 or three months now my broadband has been very poor. I have a hub 3, 200mb. The issue has been that intermittently, the signal seems to go up and down wildly and the speed slows to a crawl, affects all devices connected to the hub (4 devices, all wireless connections) and this now happens on a daily basis. I've restarted the hub multiple times, checked all connections, the connect app says that the signal to all parts of the house is great. So I really don't know what I'm missing here. Any help would be much appreciated. 

 

 

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.52K
  • 243
  • 367
Superfast
182 Views
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband


@MichaelJF80 wrote:

Morning, 

So for around the past 2 or three months now my broadband has been very poor. I have a hub 3, 200mb. The issue has been that intermittently, the signal seems to go up and down wildly and the speed slows to a crawl, affects all devices connected to the hub (4 devices, all wireless connections) and this now happens on a daily basis.

 

 


it's worth doing some testing with a wired device if you can - to narrow down whether it's just a wifi problem or if there's perhaps anything more serious wrong with your underlying connection.  

VM don't provide any guarantees about wireless performance and a lot of people around here (myself included) will recommend that you buy your own wireless equipment to improve the situation - but that's only worth doing once you're happy that wired connections work well.. 

0 Kudos
Reply
MichaelJF80
  • 13
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
174 Views
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately that's not really feasible for me as the router is downstairs and I work/live upstairs, and I don't have an ethernet cable. I know there are of course no guarantees about speed etc but this is frankly ridiculous, I think on occasion when this happens, dial-up is faster. The issue is happening far more frequently of late, too.

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.52K
  • 243
  • 367
Superfast
168 Views
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband


@MichaelJF80 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately that's not really feasible for me as the router is downstairs and I work/live upstairs, and I don't have an ethernet cable. I know there are of course no guarantees about speed etc but this is frankly ridiculous, I think on occasion when this happens, dial-up is faster. The issue is happening far more frequently of late, too.


set up a BQM and post the Sharing Link to the Live Graph back here - this will give a picture of how the connection is performing..  

unfortunately, without testing the wired connection we can only really chalk this up to poor wifi - you could buy a different router/mesh system to improve things, but without knowing for certain that wired devices work, this may or may not improve the situation..

the BQM will help though - it will highlight any overutilisation issues in your area, which could also be an explanation for the poor performance.

0 Kudos
Reply
MichaelJF80
  • 13
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
159 Views
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband

I think I've done this correctly. I hope so anyway!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c56ef1334901d19910a8dab5b62c5f9366783dc1

 

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.52K
  • 243
  • 367
Superfast
157 Views
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband

yup, is working - we'll need to leave it a while to see how it looks..

0 Kudos
Reply
MichaelJF80
  • 13
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
131 Views
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband

So just wondering if the graph indicates anything abnormal? I have no idea how to interpret it.

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.52K
  • 243
  • 367
Superfast
105 Views
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband


@MichaelJF80 wrote:

So just wondering if the graph indicates anything abnormal? I have no idea how to interpret it.


Nope, looks like a pretty stable, clean BQM, nothing wrong with that (so far anyways).

which brings us to the Ethernet tests and / or just buying a better WiFi system without the testing. 

0 Kudos
Reply
MichaelJF80
  • 13
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
35 Views
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband

Thanks for that, appreciate the info.

What would be best in your opinion here. Mesh Wi-Fi or just getting a much better router? 

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.52K
  • 243
  • 367
Superfast
24 Views
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittently slow broadband

Depends on the budget and size/type of property. 

Mesh systems are more about covering a large area than providing the very best raw performance (though there are higher end models aimed at doing both, but expect to pay £300-500 for these).

Some properties will be fine with a single, decent, router but there is a limit to how far a single device can provide decent WiFi. 

the gold standard would be to install a router and then deploy additional access points as required and wire them back via ethernet to the router, but  the running of cable often puts people off so they opt for mesh systems instead... 

0 Kudos
Reply