cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent wifi

Kidunne
On our wavelength

I reported a fault with my V6 box on the 27th Feb. A technician attended on the 1st March to replace my box and also discovered there was a fault with my WiFi. He discovered it was a network fault so he reported it.

2 technicians attended the following morning but were unable to fix the issue.

I checked service status the following day and was informed a technician needs to attend. They attended but was unable to resolve the issue and informed me they were waiting on a part.

I am unable to contact virginmedia so have mo idea when I can expect the service I am paying for to be restored.

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - nothing to be done until the known issues are fixed - to track progress call the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

As a 1GB customer you should get the free Pods which ought to cure it - see this

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So what services have you lost completely? Are they "known"?

Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

What is stopping you contacting VM

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kidunne
On our wavelength

The WiFi frequently drops out and we have to keep resetting the router. This is not ideal when we are working from home.

I prefer to contact VM via WhatsApp so I have proof of what has been said. I've had a bad experience on the phone previously which I do not wish to repeat.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok - did they say what "part" they were waiting for?

We need to check....are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

If it does turn out to be a wifi only issue - see the below - if ethernet connections dropa also - report back here...

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Kidunne
On our wavelength

I have the hub 4, gig1 fibre broadband, maxit TV and talk weekends phone.

I have been informed it is an outage issue. VM have said it has been escalated to the support team and the engineers are working in the area to get the services restored at the earliest possible as they are intermittent.

I have been given 'C01385291' as the outage remedy number and it is being looked into on a high priority.

In answer to your questions regarding connections. The Internet drops out at various times through out the day and night. We don't use ethernet cables.

I used to have WiFi booster plugs with my old hub, but since getting the new hub, they were returned. I wasn't offered any WiFi pods.

I'm not sure how to change the settings as you suggested. I'd be afraid of causing more issues and making the connection even worse.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - nothing to be done until the known issues are fixed - to track progress call the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

As a 1GB customer you should get the free Pods which ought to cure it - see this

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max

--------------------
John
--------------------

Kidunne
On our wavelength

Thank you, I really appreciate your support and advice.

Just scanning my house for blackspots now.

Kidunne
On our wavelength

I phoned the automated service status number but it says there is no fault with the broadband and the call ends.

I checked on VM service status page and ran a test on my hub. It says there is still an issue with my connection and I should check back in 10 hours. 

This has been going on since the 27th March, if not longer. That's when the fault was reported.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do the test on an ethernet cable connected device. We need to pi down whether it is a network issue or just a wifi one (they are different).

Also can you do this....

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return.
If you have a Hub4 or 5 then login on the first page up. If you have an SH2 or Hub3 - dont log in just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page.
Then Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts
Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Kidunne
On our wavelength

A technician has already attended, 4 technicians infact, and they said it's a network issue and they are awaiting a part. I haven't been advised how long it will be before full services that I am paying for will be restored.