Menu
kevcole
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent wifi still

Well,  I've given it a month or so and I'm still getting intermittent wifi. 

An engineer did arrive and concluded that my problem was an old unused 2nd tv set top box connection that was dragging the signal down, so he just unplugged it and went (yes, the cable is still just hanging there, blowing in the wind !!!!!!!! Quality) 

Obviously nothing to do with intermittent wifi as per my original complaint. 

From my experience in the past, routers just wear out and need replacing. But trying to get that through to people is hopeless because when they run their diagnostics, all works well. 

So I'll guess I'll have to phone and talk to some underpaid overworked customer service operator who I can barely understand just to be told everything tests ok. 

I did get a bonus £8 reduction tho after my last call when I told him I was going to just cancel everything because he wasn't listening

Happy days as usual with virgin media

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent wifi still

What hub do you currently have?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
kevcole
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 I think? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That’s the latest one then. 

Is it just WiFi dropping?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
kevcole
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yeah

Intermittently. No reason or pattern. But generally tea time onwards. 

But it does happen other times.  You'll pick your phone up and it's got no wifi signal.  So re-scan phone wifi or turn the phone wifi off and back on and it will work.  But sometimes just sits there attempting to reconnect. 

Android, apple, chromecast, laptops etc  all suffer. 2nd router in garage works perfectly and so far I've not had any issues with that and it's only been connected up for a few months so that's not causing issues as the tech expert on the phone tried to tell me. Trying to explain that i had the same problems before it was connected just didn't sink in....a language problem maybe

Problems have been here for a number of years but more frequent now.  Generally a few times per day

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If it’s only the WiFi dropping and wired connections are done the first thing to try is a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub.

Failing that you’ll need to go down the route of modem mode and getting your own router or looking into a mesh system 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As your wired connections are all ok..... getting your own wireless equipment will solve the wifi issues.

Either.....

1) Mesh System
2) Wireless router
3) Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above

Depending on your requirements, house layout/construction and of course, budget.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kevcole
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just not very happy paying for a service and then having to pay again because it's not reliable. 

If I honestly could find a service that's better I would go

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You don’t pay for WiFi connectivity.

You pay for the connection and are provided with a basic hub/router/modem to get you going.

Any further optimisations required are down to the customer to provide. 

0 Kudos
kevcole
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Your wrong

I pay for a "service" that's provided by virgin media. 

Virgin media provide me with the items necessary to use that "service". Virgin media owns these items and as such have obligations to maintain said items which provide me with the "service" im paying for

Next time you go for a take away.... and the man/woman takes your money and then after you've waited for half an hour you ask where's my food and he or she tells you you'll have to go buy some trays and bags from the shop next door I'm sure you'll complain😂😂

0 Kudos