Menu
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 21 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent slow speeds (~0.5Mbps) for 30s, Modem Mode, Normally 300Mbps+

Thats one appalling BQM

Do you have other equipment (Switch/NAS/Powerlines/etc) connected to the Hub on ethernet cables? If so disconnect them all for an hour or two and see if the BQM "cleans up". 

As its been a few weeks....  - have you tried a pinhole reset of the Hub as per below (worth doing).

Finally post up all the Hub stats again

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that helps

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 22 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi XDGFX

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of the broadband issues. 

There is an ongoing SNR (signal to noise ratio) issue in your area. F009274456 is the reference and the estimated fix date is the 21st September. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
XDGFX
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi John(s)

> Do you have other equipment (Switch/NAS/Powerlines/etc) connected to the Hub on ethernet cables

I only have a single Ethernet cable going from the hub, through a Ubiquiti PoE injector, then into the EdgeRouter. Lots of stuff coming out of the ER.

I've replaced the PoE injector today to see if that helps things. I will try to unplug everything at some point but it might be a while before I can lose complete connection.

> As its been a few weeks....  - have you tried a pinhole reset of the Hub as per below (worth doing).

No... however I recently got an exciting email from VM saying Gig1 is now available in my area 😉 I've just installed the new Hub 4 today, that should rule out any issues I was having with the Hub 3.

> There is an ongoing SNR (signal to noise ratio) issue in your area. F009274456 is the reference and the estimated fix date is the 21st September.

I guess I'll test with the new equipment for the next few days/weeks and see if anything changes. I'm running out of network equipment to replace at this point - so hopefully I find the culprate soon!

My Broadband Ping - VM Quality
0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 24 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi @XDGFX,

Thank you for coming back to us about this issue, I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue.

Please monitor your connection and let us know how you're getting on after the estimates fix time for the SNR outage.

I have checked your account and the estimated fix time is still showing as 21/09/21 at 16:30.

Keep us updated and we'll be more than happy to help if this issue persists.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
XDGFX
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 35
Flag for a moderator

So far so good, though I still think it's too early to conclude a fix.

I'm being prompted to return the old VM router. If my issue is fixed the culprit was either the VM router or the PoE injector I replaced. Can my return be marked as potentially faulty to ensure it doesn't make it's way back with the working returns?

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 26 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for keeping us posted on this. 

Has an agent advised that you return the router?

^Martin

0 Kudos
XDGFX
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Not an agent but when I upgraded to Gig1 it automatically requests a return, I had a reminder text and email a few days ago

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 28 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi @XDGFX,

What model of router do you have that you're being asked to return?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
XDGFX
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 35
Flag for a moderator

VMDG505 / TG2492LG-VM

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 30 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi @XDGFX thanks for coming back to us.

I'm assuming the faulty hub in question is a hub 3?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos