Menu
nevwg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent messages "does not appear to be connected to the internet"

I have a number of Apple devices: desktops, laptops and iPhones. I have a Hub 3. While there seems no difficulty accessing the network, I have intermittent and annoying occasions when the devices fail to connect to the internet. I can usually force a connection by turning WiFi off and on again, or by switching networks (I have an extender) and back again. The problem usually arises when a device wakes up, or when I get home and first use the iPhone, but very occasionally a device will drop off the internet when in use. At first I thought it was an Apple problem, but it does occur over the whole range of devices, which suggests more that it is a Hub problem. Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent messages "does not appear to be connected to the internet"

Do wired connections also drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
nevwg
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I only have one wired connection, to an iMac. I don't think it does, but it seems that the WiFi problem occurs less with that device than with any other. Actually, I think I'll disconnect the ethernet and leave the iMac just on WiFi for a while to see what happens.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Disable the “smart” Wi-Fi on the hub 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
nevwg
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't even know what "smart" WiFi is: I've just had a quick look and they speak of "intelligent" WiFi that continually changes channels to optimise connection. Is that something that I can easily disable/enable?

0 Kudos
nevwg
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah - found it! I shall untick "Enable Channel Optimization" and get back to you.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes. Login to the hubs admin page (192.168.0.1) then go to the wireless page and disable the Wi-Fi optimisation. 

0 Kudos
nevwg
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This was an annoyingly intermittent fault, so I have waited a few days -- but it does look as if the problem has been solved. "Smart WiFi" isn't always so smart it seems!

Thanks!

I'll get back to you if there is any recurrence.

0 Kudos
nevwg
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My original problem (as above) was intermittent and annoying occasions when devices fail to connect to the internet despite being connected to WiFi. I also had a problem with an old iPhone 5S. I was using this, via my hi-fi, to provide a radio. At first it was fine, but then it kept buffering. It didn't matter which radio app I used on the iPhone. I think I have found the solution and unfortunately it does seem to be the Superhub 3 that is at fault.

Two weeks ago I put the Superhub into modem mode and went back to my old router, an Apple Airport Extreme. Since then, I have not seen "your device does not seem to be connected to the internet", nor has the iPhone 5S buffered.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode wins yet again!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos