cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent loss of signal

jonathangillis
Joining in

Hi folks,

Have been experiencing intermittent loss of internet to devices connected to my Hub 4 for the last few months.

Some days it works absolutely fine (and I get good speeds when it does), other days I frequently lose internet connection for a couple of minutes at a time. May be confirmation bias, but it feels like it's happening more and more often.

This happens with WiFi connections, and also when using a powerline adapter to route the signal through the house's electrical wiring. Curiously, it doesn't seem to be a problem when a device is plugged directly into the hub via ethernet cable.

I'm no IT expert, but I know a little and;

• All of the cables are secure.
  • I've tried different cables and used multiple ports with the same issues.
  • Powering off the router and switching it back on makes no difference.
  • The Network Diagnostic Tool in the hub settings finds no issues.
  • I've tried manually assigning reserved IP addresses for each device to no effect.

This happens with every device on my network and I'm running out of ideas.

The image below is taken using the WTFast VPN program and shows ping dropping to 0 for approx. 3 minutes during a gaming session, as an example of what I'm experiencing. Ping 0 screenshot.png

Any help or advice on resolving this would be appreciated - it's getting quite frustrating at this point.

Thanks

Jonathan

4 REPLIES 4

g0akc
Problem sorter

Set up a BQM.

Odd that wired is okay though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks. I'd never heard of a BQM before but seems useful. I'll see about getting that set up today.

jonathangillis
Joining in

So this has been fine all week since I posted - issue cleared up entirely. Today it returned with a vengeance.

Ping graph from WTFast VPN program for a approx. 25 minute session today - notice the multiple times throughout that the ping drops to zero;

jonathangillis_0-1684092573884.png

Compared with a "normal" graph from when the connection was working perfectly yesterday - consistently in the 75-85ms range with no dropouts over a 90 minute period;

jonathangillis_1-1684092670807.png

And here's the Broadband Quality Monitor graph showing no issues (the single redline is from my resetting the Hub4);

jonathangillis_2-1684092865341.png

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many apologies for the issues faced jonathangillis,

Welcome back to the community.

Are you still receiving the same intermittency since posting?
Regards,

Kain