Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent loss of internet

Hi All,

Looking around this seems to be a fairly common request on here, so hopefully a solution is available.

Ever since the start of lockdown, and only on warm days (over 20 degrees C), the internet shuts off. 
TV still works, but no channels/services that need internet. 
No Wi-Fi.
Restarting doesn't fix the issue, the cables are all tight, the VM service checker always says there's no fault in the area.
Correlation does not equal causation of course, but the hub seems to pack up shortly after the temperature hits 20 degrees.
Service normally resumes in the evening (once the tempearture has dropped).

My network log has the following errors repeatedly during today's outage:
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded

SNR is sitting at 40 across the board

The only thing that looks odd is that there are over 1800 post-RS errors.

Any thoughts/solutions welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent loss of internet

Is the street cabinet in a location where it would be particularly exposed to the sun - so perhaps with the long side of the cab facing south, catching the sun, and perhaps also sheltered from what wind there is?  I seem to recall that Sephiroth's DOCSIS primer* says that impedance of the underground cable increases in warm weather, so presumably an increase in errors as well, but the street cab is the most likely place where I'd expect insolation effects to be greatest.  As far as I can hear, there's no active ventilation on VM's cabs (unlike BT's FTTC cabs), and with DOCSIS 3.1 probably increasing power use, it is possible that VM's passive and not very ventilated cabs may be more prone to overheating as they upgrade the network?

* posted before he sublimed and became a minor god.  He's still around, but you have to pray in order to get his sage wisdom.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you post the downstream and upstream stats plus the logs (masking any WAN IP address)

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Here you go.

Downstream1.pngDownstream2.pngUpstream.png

TimePriorityDescription
15/06/2020 16:58noticeNOTICE ATOM is restarted as part of Self Healing Mechanism;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:49criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:49Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:44criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:44Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:37criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:37Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:31criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:31Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:25criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:25Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:19criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:19Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:14criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:14Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:09criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:09Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:03criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 16:03Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
15/06/2020 15:58criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxxxx;CMTS-MAC=xxxxxx;CM-QOS=x.x;CM-VER=x.x;
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post HornsbyBond and a very warm welcome to you!

I've looked the stats of the hub and everything is in spec. Can you tell me if you experience this over both Wi-Fi and Wireless?

Can you also perform a reboot on the hub, and if it's no trouble, a pin hole reset on the hub?

I can see the hub has been active for an 18 day period currently

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You shouldnt have that many T3's (10 in 1 hour!) down channel one looks a bit odd too - as suggested by David - the pinhole reset option is the place to start.

First do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends – disconnect then and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - with the Hub "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly and hold it there for 60 seconds – then release pin then leave it 10’ to stabilise. But first, make sure the 2 passwords on Hub sticker are still there and legible !

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice, but alas, no dice.

First hot day for a little while and out go the lights.

Connections are good, pinhole reset does nothing.
(obvs: it resets the box, but the internet remains unconnected)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your hub is trying to communicate with the CMTS but failing to do so. I suspect an upstream problem.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cheers.

That sounds like an engineer call out required then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, and if he cannot fix the problem he can refer it to someone else.

--
0 Kudos