Menu
Kevdoccfc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent internet

• I have been asked to detail my issues in this forum with my broadband service or lack of so someone on the forum team can have a look into it.

For 4 months now my internet has been working sometimes for a few hours and something 5 minutes then there is nothing no signal no connection this happens numerous times a day every day my kids have been in the middle of zoom calls through work and collage and constantly getting cut off. Any gaming with friends is the same the connection gets lost. I have called numerous times over the past 4 months trying to resolve this but everything is automated and can't actually speak with anyone. I managed to some how get a engineer out Unfortunately for me at the time he was there was one of the few times the internet was working he changed some settings on my hub said that should be fine now. He left and it went back to intermittently working . So I'm still no further forward. The complaints department said they tried to call me but no one has been out due to Covid restrictions and I can guarantee there has been no call from Virgin media so I apologize for this being so long winded but I hope it helps get my issues resolved

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent internet

First question as always is... are these issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

And what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Steve67
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My WiFi has been dropping every 4 mins for 90 seconds do the past week . Engineer could not find a fault, but renewed connections.. got fed up with it and bought a 3rd party router and out hub 3 in modem mode.. had better signal and no drop outs...

Do you think vm will reimburse me for the cost of the router?

No😁

0 Kudos
kxhost
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What wireless router did you go for? Mine is doing the same!

0 Kudos
Kevdoccfc
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I'm not great with all the technical stuff but the white light on the front of the hub 3 is mostly white but the green ones above that flash . I'm ment to have M600 broad band but my son does a speed test and it's been down as low as 5  mbps 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Assuming your wired connections are all ok (are they?) then as VM don’t “guarantee” speeds over wifi (only ethernet cables) they only now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own better quality wireless equipment (not extenders) which will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Kevdoccfc
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John I loose it when wired too. I am on the ultimate oomph so will ask for the pods. only problem I have there is actually talking to someone to sort things out I have been trying for 4 months but I am still phoning on a regular basis in hopes I can talk to a real person thanks again John  for your input

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK - if wired connections are problematic too, can you do this...

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos