Menu
Liam2312
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent internet

I'm posting here as a last resort as I can't get in touch with anyone at Virgin Media.

I have hub 3.0 and the WiFi in the house work fine most of the time. The only wired connection I have is to my desktop via TPlink (through the plugs to put it simply). 

At least once per day the internet will cut off for maybe 30 seconds. I know this doesn't sound like a major issue, but I'm sitting a professional medical exam on 10th February which has to be done at home due to restrictions. They're not cheap and a lot of revision has gone into it on top of clinical shifts. I'm really worried that the internet will cut off during my 2.5 hour exam, which is an automatic fail.

I've ran all the simple diagnostic tools available on the home page and on my desktop. The only problem identified is between the modem and internet - as far as I can tell the network in the house is fine (IE no issues have been identified with that).

I even got the foil hat out and thought it may be because of some of the work laptops we have at home (they have an encryption on them due to having patient information on them). I've made sure they aren't connected to the WiFi but I don't think it has made any difference.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of networking would need much more information than I have given here to help, I just don't know what else to put! Any help/opinions/possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent internet

If you want to ensure a connection for the exam - dont use wifi - you need to connect the computer/laptop directly to the Hub by a good Cat5e or better ethernet cable.

Long runs (20/30/50 metres) are cheap. After the meeting roll it up and put in in a cupboard.

Re. your issue - have you checked whether ethernet connections do remain stably connected at the time of wifi dropouts? It may just be a wifi issue which is easily remied by yourself - rather than a Network connection issue that only VM can sort out.

Also, in the meantime... if you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Liam2312
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent internet

Thanks John.

I've set up that monitor just now. The ethernet connections do also cut out when the WiFi drops out. It's probably just a coincidence but since disconnecting the work laptop/phones there hasn't been any loss of internet. 

This also baffles me but it's actually a requirement we use WiFi for the exam so they can monitor our phone use. They won't allow mobile internet.

0 Kudos