forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
LT1983
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent internet

Hello,

I am having issues with intermittent internet on my iPhone and Laptop. The wifi shows as full signal but internet loading and apps will fail like Zoom etc and will drop out at random intervals during the day.

Zoom will generally start off ok for the first few minutes and then I get a connection unstable message and it will eventually freeze and throw you out which gets pretty annoying and embarrassing. 

The odd thing is that it only seems to effect these two devices, all devices that are close to the hub (tv, games console) never have an issue.

It’s not a distance issue as I have nearly full signal in my house(it’s not a big house!) I have a hub 3 which is 3.5 years old with no issues until the last 3-4 months. I have a 13 devices connected including ring, hive etc 

If I reboot the hub it will sort the issue for a day maximum and then the problem will start again requiring another reboot to solve , I have disabled the smart wifi channel optimisation feature thinking that could be the reason so it doesn’t switch channels (and that 2.4 ghz may have been congested) but I still have the “full wifi” but no internet issue at random times when on 5ghz which I understand is less prone to interference.

I haven’t separated the channels as I don’t think that will solve the issue.

Could it be that the router is overheating/failing after a day or so and then the reboot temporarily fixes it? Do I need a new router ?

I have run a diagnostic check through the router settings which says there are network issues but there is no message telling you what they are or what you need to do to fix them !!

I don’t seem to be able to speak to a human via the phoneline, the automated message says they have tested my equipment and I should reboot my hub - something I do on a daily basis anyway.

Hoping one of the helpful people on here may have found a solution for this. 

Tags (1)
MolinJ
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent internet

I am having the same issues! (sorry for jumping on your post!) 

i have moved my desk to back room, although wifi shows as full on laptop and phone, my work VDI cuts out several times throughout the day (when on Zoom calls or just when working)  Ive restarted / run tests and there are no issues. Im in a small flat so shouldn't be an issue anyway. 

I have talked to the Tech hub at my work, they said its due to "breaks" in the lines which apparently is a common issue with Virgin vs the wifi strength which is causing the drop outs and delays. 

Any advise on what i can do to help this would be great as i cannot get through to anyone either. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
LT1983
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent internet

Hi MolinJ,

I have managed to sort my problem after lots of research by logging into router settings and “disabling channel optimisation” which has done the trick for me ....I have had no zoom dropouts on my laptop since which is a relief ! 

My router stops automatically switching devices from 2.4 to 5 ghz which was causing connection drops for me. You can always disable it if it doesn’t help 

0 Kudos