cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent hub freezes cured by access from wired device

DamnMachine2
On our wavelength

I am experiencing random intermittent hub freezes, which seem to be cured instantly when a wired device connected directly to the hub accesses the internet.  This has been going on for years, and I've been swapping components one by one without finding the cause.  I'm currently baffled, so asking for help from the hive mind.  

It happens on average once a month.  But sometimes we get two in two days, sometimes none for two months.  

Current Configuration: 

Volt M200 broadband, GU post code. 
Hub 5 - installed only 30 days ago
Port 1 on hub connects to a four port Ethernet switch with a laptop, fileserver, and printer
Port 2 on hub connects to a DecoX55 mesh wifi hub, with wired backhaul to two other DecoX55s, each of which have a two port switch built in from which I connect to a wired device.
We use the Deco mesh wifi, so wifi on the Superhub is switched off to avoid any possibility of frequency conflicts. 

Symptoms: when the error occurs, wireless devices can still connect to the Deco, but the Deco maintenance utility reports it has lost internet access.  A laptop connected via the Ethernet switch also says it has no internet connectivity.  

Cure: Turning the Hub5 off for 5 mins then on again will bring back service.   But quicker than that, if I connect a laptop directly to one of the hub ports and open a web site, everything else springs back to life instantly.  (The location of the hub prevents me from leaving any devices permanently directly connected to it.) 

While directly connected, I have had a look in the hub logs and found entries like these around about the time of the failures:

Warning

RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value
Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS
MAC=xx:x:x:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Critical

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 timeout;CM-MAC= xx:x:x:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC= xx:x:x:xx:xx:xx;CMQOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Error

DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CMMAC= xx:x:x:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC= xx:x:x:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CMVER=3.1;

(MAC addresses masked out). 

I'm curious to know if these could be relevant to the failures I am seeing. 

This pattern of random intermittent outages has gone on for many years.  Before the Deco mesh Wifi I used a second wifi hub with better coverage than the Virgin hubs - with similar behaviour.   I've also tried changing out the Ethernet switches.  At once stage I was using powerline connections to distant wired devices and thought they were the problem.  But they are all gone now.  My most recent theory was that my last hub, a Virgin Superhub3, must be faulty or old.  But a brand new Hub5 is displaying the same behaviour. 

All suggestions very much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I understand from the Internet, RNG-RSP occurs when the Hub has a disconnect event. It could be a faulty connection somewhere in your circuit. I would setup a BQM and post your Hub's stats for comment, i.e. power levels, etc.  Read this blog, it's a very interesting timeline around resolving a RNG-RSP fault. Solving Intermittent Cable Modem Issues (duckware.com)

It may be nothing to do with your network setup, but more an ongoing long time fault in the VM cables? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are the Deco units purely setup as Access Points only?  Is the Hub 5 the only DHCP server on the network?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

DamnMachine2
On our wavelength

Thanks for looking at this. 

Yes.  Deco Operation Mode = Access Point.

And Deco Smart DHCP = Disabled.

DamnMachine2
On our wavelength

And 
ipconfig /all | find /i "DHCP Server" gives
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

which is the Hub 5.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I understand from the Internet, RNG-RSP occurs when the Hub has a disconnect event. It could be a faulty connection somewhere in your circuit. I would setup a BQM and post your Hub's stats for comment, i.e. power levels, etc.  Read this blog, it's a very interesting timeline around resolving a RNG-RSP fault. Solving Intermittent Cable Modem Issues (duckware.com)

It may be nothing to do with your network setup, but more an ongoing long time fault in the VM cables? 

DamnMachine2
On our wavelength

Thanks.  That's good advice.  I was going to ask you what to look for on the BQM monitor, as I've had them running and not spotted any particular pattern when the outages occur. 

But then I just went and looked at my latest one.  It looks extraordinary to me: 

DamnMachine2_0-1693244072218.png

Surely there shouldn't be all those dropped packets?  The network itself seems to be performing fine.  No outages during the time period shown. And I get 100 Mbps download and 25 Mbps upload in speed tests, just as I would expect.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Cracking BQM graph !

As ever it tell us zip about where or why the pings were discarded. Or could it be not even sent !

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Out of interest... why on earth are you not using the VM Hub in modem mode with the Deco doing all the heavy lifting?  The X55 modem and wifi are a quantum jump better than that in any VM Hub.

Take control of your system and allow the Hub to work as a modem only.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

DamnMachine2
On our wavelength

I did use modem mode, about six configurations back, maybe 10-15 years back.  I stopped using it because when I encountered problems with the outbound Virgin connection, it was very difficult to diagnose them.  That was probably two hubs ago, though.  I could be persuaded back again if the Hub5 still gives you logs and connection stats even when in modem mode? 

I just looked back over the last month's BQM monitors.  Those dropped packets started appearing on the day the Hub5 was installed.  The red is there most of the time most days since then.