cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent disconnections from works VPN

dawn_foster
Tuning in

I use a laptop connected to my works VPN whilst working from home, however this connection struggles to maintain itself. I’m constantly getting disconnected making it impossible to do my job. Laptop works fine disconnected from the VPN and other items on my home WIFI work perfectly fine the majority of the time. My question is… is there anything that Virgin may have in place that could block or weaken the strength of connection with my works VPN?! 

18 REPLIES 18

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just search this forum for VPN and you will find multiple threads with VPN issues and VM Hubs. Go through them and see if any offer a solution for your issue.

As I see it thogh the best option is to stick the Hub into modem mode and use your own better specced router

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get a better router use hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The confusion is it works perfectly for everything else in my home, including gaming on 2 different consoles at once, lights, speakers, phones, etc. the only thing I struggle with is the works vpn! 

Hey dawn, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having VPN issue.

We don't block any VPN's, have you reached out to your work to see if they can do anything?

Did any of the advice help at all? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

@Matthew_ML wrote:

We don't block any VPN's, have you reached out to your work to see if they can do anything?

Have been instructed that there may be ports that need opening from our end by work. Is this something I can look to do myself as they say there are none their end and are now refusing to pay me unless I change internet provider and have a working system. So I obviously need this fixed asap! Can’t afford to live with my wages let alone without them. 

@dawn_foster wrote:

Have been instructed that there may be ports that need opening from our end by work. Is this something I can look to do myself as they say there are none their end and are now refusing to pay me unless I change internet provider and have a working system. So I obviously need this fixed asap! Can’t afford to live with my wages let alone without them. 

If ports were being blocked it wouldn't work at all.

Could you create a BQM here and we can review your line quality.

This was already requested by VM in this thread you posted in.

Our Hub 3 is in Router mode & I always use business laptops and their VPNs via a network cable.
The laptops of 3 different firms with 3 different VPNs are working without issues.

VPN over WiFi can be a source of many stability problems.

@dawn_foster wrote:

use modem mode or change ISP