Menu
Highlighted
Nooranis
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent connection and slow wifi speeds

Hi all,

I've been having problems with my home wifi connection for a little over a month now. The wifi connection regularly drops out and we have to restart the hub or reset it. Even when it does restart I often then can't connect properly to the network. I have an android phone and it often gives an IP authentication error.

When it has connected we've been getting very slow speeds, normally not more than 10mbps. We're unable to stream bbc iplayer or netflix, for example.

I just had to reset the hub again and strangely enough when I did the speed test I got fast speeds for the first time in ages. However, when I try to watch iplayer it still can't play properly without having to buffer again every 30 seconds or so. 

Virgin have been absolutely no help, the online diagnosis tool says everything's fine, After speaking to customer service they sent a signal booster which made no difference, and when they were supposed to ring recently I never got a call.

I'm getting really sick of this now and am starting to shop around for alternate suppliers. Can anyone here be of any assistance?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mike59
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent connection and slow wifi speeds

Hi 

I’ve also been having problems with Broadband connection over the last 4 weeks. This means I can’t carry out important work, and all channels of communication with Virgin either don’t work, or give wildly varied estimates as to when the problem will be fixed. I’ve had estimates from end of June to end of August!!

I ‘m now seriously considering moving to another provider, as the problem is no better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mike59
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Which? are good at recommending Broadband suppliers, I’m afraid Virgin is not the best, in their view.

Also MoneyExpert are quite good

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nooranis
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone help with this? The chat function on the website isn't working. When I try to click on the chat link it just reloads the page and does nothing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Test the connection quality on a gigabit enabled pc/laptop connected by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable directly into the Hub, which you have switched into modem mode. If you then speedtest and get the max speeds on your package (which you should) and its stable - then the problem is the wifi connection - which of course VM dont guarantee!
However, there are ways you can sort that - post back with the data.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos