Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent connection and poor range

Recently my Hub 3 has been extremely intermittent with its connection just dropping internet at random points day and night the range on it is also incredibly poor, anything outside of the room the hub is in slows down drastically or just cant connect to it. I have moved the hub multiple times between rooms, optimised it via the app and made sure the hub is set up correctly and in an open area and yet I'm still having these issues. Also unsure if related but I'm on 100mbps connection and a wireless device connected in the same room as the hub does not reach above 13mbps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent connection and poor range

What do you get when wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How are you able to move the hub between rooms?  VM aren't normally very generous with the coaxial cable between wall box and hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Theres 2 connection points in my house 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisBrownrigg wrote:

Theres 2 connection points in my house 

Only one will be live though.

It could be that the other point needs capping off and terminating/isolated correctly. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Both points work, but the hub only gives a good connection to the room it's in which is a problem as I have to move either the router or my computer to be able to get a strong enough signal

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One of the unused points needs capping off properly in that case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How would I go about arranging that? I'm unable to get through in the phone is it possible to sort it online?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The phone lines are open. Or you need to wait 5-7 days for a mod to respond on here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Don't bother phoning in trying to get a spare coax outlet capped.  The speeds you quote and disconnects sound like a cable problem, and whilst not impossible an uncapped outlet would be generally unlikely to cause the problems you describe.

Go into the hub's status page, and copy and paste in replies here (as text, not screen shots) the contents of the status tabs Downstream, Upstream and Network log.  If there's nice obvious problem then VM will send out a tech to diagnose and fix, and you can mention the uncapped port then.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos