Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent connection and DHCP issues since upgrade to hub 4

Hi

We have recently been offered an upgrade to a hub 4. Since we installed the new hub, we have been experiencing intermittent connection drops that require us to restart the network adapter on the connected device. The drops have become less frequent since the weekend but when they do occur, the fact that we have to restart the network adapter is becoming a huge issue 

This doesnt seem to be an issue with the WIFI signal itself, my desktop computer is connected via ethernet and every morning or every period when the computer is off for more than a few hours.My computer will have no ip address configured and will be stuck with the 169.254.0.0/16 address until i restart the network adapter which would point to some sort of DHCP issue with the hub

I have changed the lease time to the maximum allowed by the hub of 7 days but it hasnt fixed the issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent connection and DHCP issues since upgrade to hub 4

Is it just happening to the one machine?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So far yes, it is only happening on the ethernet connected desktop whenever the computer is powered off for more than a few hours

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would look at the computer maybe having an issue then if no other devices are doing it.

Is the computer wired direct to the hub or via a switch or poweline extender plug?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

its using a BT broadband plug socket extender

I would disagree that it is the computer. I never had this isue with the hub 3.0 , the only thing that has changed since then is the hub so this would point to the hub surely?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have you reset the extender since getting the new hub?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have reset the extender and still getting the same issue. Whenever the computer restarts after more than a few hours it will get stuck on the auto configuration address 169.254.x.x. Only restarting the interface will fix it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

bump

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Please don’t bump posts.

Also the issue is with a BT extender not your Virgin equipment 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you provide some extra info about why youre so confident this is the issue?

I have bypassed the extender and plugged the ethernet cable directly into the router and i am still getting stuck on the auto configutration address after each restart. Probably suggests its not the extender.

0 Kudos