Menu
Matthewwhit
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent broadband

Recently joined virgin from sky and although the speed appears to be better with virgin the devices in the house are constantly losing connection. This happens multiple times a day and is extremely frustrating. I’ve rebooted and reset I even a virgin intelligent booster and still constantly getting buffering signals and check connection messages. Not impressed!! Can anyone shed some light on why this is or how to fix it?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent broadband

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables?

If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Matthewwhit
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just WiFi and it’s the hub 3

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So you know for sure that the ethernet connected devices remain connected ok?

And the lights do what when the connection drops?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Matthewwhit
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The lights do nothing, the power light is the only light on and that’s it. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK from what you have said it looks like it may be a wifi issue only and your network connection by ethernet cable is all fine - in which case.... then on a Hub3/4, try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)— that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - see the "wifi wins" tips at the top of this board - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address this, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” most will be charged £5/month and they dont have enough supplies right now to provide them unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

At that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi woes.

Get either a…
Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos