forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
johnnyk32uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent broadband

Hi, 

For the last 3 weeks my broadband has been a nightmare. Certain times of the day it keeps cutting out and takes ages to try and come back on. It's usually between 11am and 1 pm but can happen anytime. I have done all the checks it says to do in house and today it says there is a problem but I need to wait before I can call out an engineer, I can't even get to speak to a human!

I don't understand how it can be an inside the home issue when it happens like this most days at the same time, my wife and I both work from home just now and both work for the NHS, it's a nightmare when we are on teams calls or doing analysis when it just cuts out for no reason, we have 200mb BB and when it works it's great but we can't continue like this working at home when it keeps cutting out especially at very important times that we can't do our work.

Our son also uses this for his school work sometimes so all 3 of us rely on this and it's not that cheap.

I have made a complaint but says it can take 28 days, then we told there is a £4 price rise to top it it all off!

If things go on like this I will be cancelling as I don't seem to be getting much help from Virgin.

Nothing has changed but we are now getting very poor broadband service and Virgin make it so hard to talk to someone human.

Very disappointed in the service we are getting. 

Is this happening to others?

ML1 area in Scotland

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent broadband

You dont actually say - so are these issues all on wifi connections? What happens at these times on a device connected directly to the Hub on an ethernet cable. Also what Hub model/package do you have?

If they wont send an engineer it usually means that there is a "known fault" waiting to be fixed.

Try the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that may not cover problems affecting a few customers.

To look at the connection in detail, If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
johnnyk32uk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

We mainly use wifi but even with an ethernet cable when it's down it's down we have tried this and it's not like the hub is far away from us at all or in another room. As I said when it's working it's great but it keeps going down at certain times of the day when nothing has changed on our part. I have done all the checks they say to do numerous times, reset it as well but nothing usually helps we just have to wait until it comes back which can take ages sometimes.

I have the m200 fibre package with the hub3.

I always check my area status before I try and contact someone but this is hardly ever the issue or it says there nothing wrong etc.

Thanks for the other number to call and I will set up the monitor to keep an eye on this.

It's just a pain when we're in important meetings or lost connections while doing work, not great at all.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
John

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK - lets look at the state of your connection.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
johnnyk32uk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks for your reply again, I will do these checks when I have more time, hopefully soon

thanks again
0 Kudos
johnnyk32uk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

I have had the same issues since I last posted and just now it keeps cutting out.

Router status

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Provisioning State

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
johnnyk32uk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My BB has cut out at least 5 times today again, 

What is the best phone number to get an engineer out, I can hardly find phone numbers on the website or talk to a human!

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@johnnyk32uk wrote:

My BB has cut out at least 5 times today again, 

What is the best phone number to get an engineer out, I can hardly find phone numbers on the website or talk to a human!

Thanks,

John

150 from a virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other. 

be prepared for a wait though.

best time to call is 08:00. on the dot.

johnnyk32uk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks much appreciated 

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi johnnyk32uk, thanks for the message, I will send you a private to get this looked into for you. Chris

0 Kudos