Menu
amallins
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent broadband

The past few weeks my broadband has been intermittent at best. I am on 100Mbps using a Hub3. I spoke to VM support and they said there are no issues. I have reset the Hub 3 many times. WiFi drops on multiples devices at the same time so it is not the devices. I am sitting 4 meters away from the Hub 3. I have done the WiFi hotspot test in the app and it says my signal is “Great”. 

How can I convince VM that something is wrong without them throwing back their templates responses to me. 

Very frustrating. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent broadband

There probably is nothing wrong (except wifi interference) unless you can show them/us that devices connected on ethernet cables are also dropping out at the same time.

Can you test that and report back. From there we can see where to go next.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
amallins
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have no way of testing that. 

Thngs are certainly not working right. I have been with VM for 18 months and had no issues with intermittence...but in the last few weeks the issue has arisen and got progressively worse. It is not an inconvenience...it is stopping me do things. 

So if I am unable to resolve it then I will have to swap providers. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@amallins wrote:

I have no way of testing that. 

Yes you have - any device can be connected on an ethernet cable with an adapter that fits any port on your computer/laptop/console/tablet/phone etc.

If it turns out to be just a wifi only issue - VM (& all other BB providers) provide a service that is guaranteed TO the Hub and what comes out from it on an ethernet cabled device. They all expressly exclude guaranteeing wifi connections - as it is so influenced by the external environment. Even BT with its glossy ad's saying wifi is “guaranteed”, also charge £10/month for that and say that if it isn’t sorted they will just give you £100 back. VM try and help with swapping the Hub (just in case!) and providing pods etc., but the reality is, that if the Hub wifi doesnt work well for you then you are far better sourcing your own wireless equipment.
You could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands and switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
amallins
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can’t test it as I don’t have the cables or adapters (New Mac Pro).

I have tried manually forcing the WiFi bands to see if that makes a difference. It doesn’t. 

I have been forced to do Zoom calls by hot spotting my 4G phone as I get a better connection. Surely you can’t tell me that there isn’t anything wrong and that I should expect that from a WiFi router

how can I speak to a VM service rep. I can’t get through on the phone

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@amallins wrote:

I can’t test it as I don’t have the cables or adapters (New Mac Pro).

I have a new M1 Air and I can.  Ethernet cable £2-3, ethernet adapter £10 inc. next day delivery - a spit in the ocean compared the price of a new Pro.

You can call in at 08.00 and should get through ok.  Although if your connection is showing as good  (which can be only be proven/disproven when tested on ethernet) their solution to curing wifi issues will be to advise you to try splitting the SSID's which you have and makes no difference, and then offer to rent you their wifi Pods for £5/month (poor value) or try and sell you a speed upgrade (poor advice).

The Hub is a ~£25 device trying to do the job of a £40 Modem + £50 router + £70 wireless access point - there is no wonder it struggles for some people (not all by any means) of the customers in challenging wifi environments

All that said you may well have a network connection problem - we have no direct evidence one way or another apart from VM CS agent saying there isn't one.

--------------------
John
--------------------