AndgryBlackwell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent broadband

Hello,

My Broadband keeps dropping out.

I have checked my wifi it's not that.

I have tried the app and scanned all my rooms 95 -100% in all rooms so it's not that.

I dont have too many devices on as it happens whether its just the TiVo or the TiVo, laptop, xbox, ps4, and a few phones connected. It's not that. 

Checked the speed as well I pay for 350mb/s but mostly only get 200 - 250 which is still fast but not what I pay for so it's not that.

Started a 6-7 weeks ago, may be alright all day then on other days can drop out every hour for 5 to 10 minutes one time for half hour. Have tried resetting hub. doesnt help. I have tried turning off for a minute, it doesnt help. Have tried changing the settings but doesnt help. 

Listed as being some issues in the area but doesnt mention any outages for broadband on outages page.

Anyone any ideas or have this happening to them? Any suggestions?

Anyone at Virgin any suggestions?

Dont think I should be paying £95 a month for one of the top packages with issues like this when other companies are advertising best connection and 5g is coming with possible speeds of over 3 gb/s. Might be time to get a 5g dongle will be live in my area soon. Are Virgin going to utilise 5g tech?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent broadband

When you say it's not the WiFi, have you done a speed test with a device wired to the Hub and all other devices turned off?

Virgin won't be using 5G instead of their cable service.

AndgryBlackwell
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes i plugged my laptop into the hub via ethernet and turn all wifi off. Didnt work, no conection at all.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Then you need to call 150 and report the loss of service. Be prepare for a long wait Smiley Sad

The sooner you do this the sooner you will get compensation for loss of service.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@AndgryBlackwell wrote:

Hi,

Yes i plugged my laptop into the hub via ethernet and turn all wifi off. Didnt work, no conection at all.

You just put the hub into modem mode and connect directly with Cat5e/6 cable.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

First job, set up a free “BQM” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of all your network disconnections, useful data to have in discussions with VM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the downstream, upstream, & network logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The OP said

"Yes i plugged my laptop into the hub via ethernet and turn all wifi off. Didnt work, no conection at all."

I understood that to mean that there was no broadband service with an ethernet connection.

Is that right OP, or did you mean something else?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:

The OP said

"Yes i plugged my laptop into the hub via ethernet and turn all wifi off. Didnt work, no conection at all."

I understood that to mean that there was no broadband service with an ethernet connection.

Is that right OP, or did you mean something else?

I was thinking maybe he had several devices wired in simultaneously - modem mode prevents that of course - unlikely I know Smiley Happy

--------------------
0 Kudos
AndgryBlackwell
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That is correct,

There was no broadband connection at all.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Call 150.

(Use the toilet first and have some food by you. Could be a long wait on the phone.)

0 Kudos