Menu
Slgallagher777
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent broadband - support sends me round in circles

Half a dozen times I’ve been told to restart or reset the router but still nearly every day the Wi-Fi and broadband die and then come back again a minute later so I have to reconnect devices. Loses internet during meetings and school lessons is becoming so bad that I am thinking of moving to BT. Please someone actually help me rather than suggest rebooting the router

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent broadband - support sends me round in circles

Have you done any testing using an ethernet cable?

Appreciate that this might be inconvenient, but it's worth knowing whether you get the same dropouts when using a cable as you do when using wireless..

0 Kudos
Slgallagher777
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not that easy as I would have to sit next to the router all day - it happens at random times of the day

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JW_net
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have experienced the same frustration. Several months of doing all the tests. The Connect App shows 'Great Signal' all over the house. All WiFi connections drop out for a minute and sometimes longer. However at the same time the cable connection is fine. Basically the more vital connection required in the house for work purposes we changed to cable. I have made support calls to then be told to do what I have done several times. Then someone was calling me back. The call never came. I have now logged a complaint but this is going to take up to 28days. I'm sure a service guy could swing past and drop a replacement Hub to try (Hub3 by the way) as we would know within a day if it is any better. Yes it fails every day. I am a long standing loyal customer to Virgin but this could be the beginning of the end if I do not have this resolved soon.  

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@JW_net wrote:

I have experienced the same frustration. Several months of doing all the tests. The Connect App shows 'Great Signal' all over the house. All WiFi connections drop out for a minute and sometimes longer. However at the same time the cable connection is fine. Basically the more vital connection required in the house for work purposes we changed to cable. I have made support calls to then be told to do what I have done several times. Then someone was calling me back. The call never came. I have now logged a complaint but this is going to take up to 28days. I'm sure a service guy could swing past and drop a replacement Hub to try (Hub3 by the way) as we would know within a day if it is any better. Yes it fails every day. I am a long standing loyal customer to Virgin but this could be the beginning of the end if I do not have this resolved soon.  

as most of the regulars around here will tell you, VM do not guarantee any sort of wireless signal/speed/reliability - only wired. You might think that they should provide something that is fit for purpose, but that's a difficult thing to define for such a varied range of customers - what works fine in one property might be dreadful in another...

the hub is not a good quality device.. it's a minimal viable product - it terminates the cable connection and provides a guarantee about speeds over ethernet.  If your wired connections are stable, and If you want a good quality wireless signal across your property, then i'd recommend looking into third party routers / mesh systems to provide it..  

0 Kudos
Slgallagher777
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I use a bt whole home to extend it but even the Wi-Fi coming off the router drops. Can I plug a different router directly into the virgin broadband?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Slgallagher777 wrote:

Thanks, I use a bt whole home to extend it but even the Wi-Fi coming off the router drops. Can I plug a different router directly into the virgin broadband?

Yes, but before you spend the money it really is worth testing whether wired connections are stable, as buying a router won't solve issues with the underlying connection. 

edit: to clarify, you cannot remove the hub completely, but you can run it in "modem mode" which turns off all features except the bit that terminates the coax cable - it then passes the connection onto your router..

you say you have the BT whole home - is that the wifi discs? there's a post at the top of this board with some information about incompatibility - i think it's fixed, but might be worth a read.. 

0 Kudos
Slgallagher777
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, and the bt whole home doesn’t count as a router to set the hub into modem mode right? Need an actual router?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Slgallagher777 wrote:

Thanks, and the bt whole home doesn’t count as a router to set the hub into modem mode right? Need an actual router?

i added some info to my previous post - but no, the whole home discs are just access points, not routers.. how are they connected to your hub? presumably one wired and two additional ones that mesh over wireless back to the primary?

also, have you disabled the wifi broadcast on the hub itself?

0 Kudos