cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent WiFi

GrahamDragon
Tuning in

I quite frequently get messages on my computer telling me my network connection has dropped, or the browser hangs while trying to load even as popular a site as Google Search.  Also every so often I get a message on my TV saying there is no internet connection.

The Virginmedia Connect App shows a download speed of 626 Mbps (although that is right now, when I don't seem to have a connection problem).  It does also show, though, a WiFi speed of only 1 Mbps, and I am not sure if that is normal or is too low.

Is this something that might be fixed with Virgin Pods?  If so, would I have a problem getting them, though, given the normal speed is much higher than 200?

Are there any other possible reasons and/or solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

And first of all - are wired connections okay or do they also drop?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

g0akc
Problem sorter

@GrahamDragon wrote:

I quite frequently get messages on my computer telling me my network connection has dropped, or the browser hangs while trying to load even as popular a site as Google Search.  Also every so often I get a message on my TV saying there is no internet connection.

The Virginmedia Connect App shows a download speed of 626 Mbps (although that is right now, when I don't seem to have a connection problem).  It does also show, though, a WiFi speed of only 1 Mbps, and I am not sure if that is normal or is too low.

Is this something that might be fixed with Virgin Pods?  If so, would I have a problem getting them, though, given the normal speed is much higher than 200?

Are there any other possible reasons and/or solutions?

• Forget the 'Connect' app - what download speed do you get with a speedtest app or webpage - samknows, Ookla or whatever?
  • How far are the devices from the router?
  • What is your contracted/package speed?
  • Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz ?
  • Have you split the bands?
  • Try using a wifi analyser app or program - what does that show?  Any clash with neighbours?
  • Try changing wifi channels
  • If close to router (same room or adjacent room) try 5GHz instead of 2.4
  • Pods may help - depending on what the issue is - but will cost depending on what package you are on - you may be better off buying you own wifi kit.
  • And so on....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

And first of all - are wired connections okay or do they also drop?

Thank you for your detailed response.

I have often used third party speed tests and they give similar results to the Connect App.  The difference is that the Connect App also shows the WiFi speed, which doesn't seem to be the case with third party sites (at least the ones I use).

I have now got a Virgin Pod.  It comes free with my package, so there was no point looking for an alternative.  My last score was 190 Mbps compared with the 1 I had before.  So far everything seems much better, fingers crossed.  I did try a WiFi extender in the past before I heard about Virgin Pods and that didn't help at all.

I can no longer use a wired connection as it doesn't seem to work any more.  I think probably the wire has got broken somewhere.  I had it installed many years ago, and as it has to go from where the modem is installed in a room downstairs up to my bedroom where I have my office it would be an expensive job to replace it.

My contracted speed is the top one - 500.  Although my current 190 is well below that, the hub speed of 626 is above it, and I assume that means I am getting what I am paying for.  I can't blame Virgin for a loss of signal because I need to work on the computer and watch TV in a different room from where the hub is installed.

Hi @GrahamDragon,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you have been having issues with your wifi service. We can understand the inconvenience caused. We are however glad to see the router improved the service. You can find out about broadband speeds here https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/speeds Also have you been able to test the broken wire by running a quick test with a different ethernet cable?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The router is in a room downstairs and the computer is in a room upstairs.  I estimate I would need a 20 metre cable to span that.  I don't have a cable that long.  Also, I need the connection for both the TV and the computer, so if I were going to the trouble of cabling I should probably buy an ethernet switch and an extra, shorter, cable so I can connect both.  That seems quite a lot of work and cost if there will only be a marginal improvement - but do you think if I did that I would have much better performance?

@GrahamDragon wrote: but do you think if I did that I would have much better performance?

Yes, it would - without a shadow of a doubt.

I do that - I have an upstairs study with various IT kit and have an 20 metre external Ethernet cable running from my wireless router downstairs where the main TV and TV box is.  Hub in modem mode.  In the study, which has desktops and other kit including a NAS drive, I use a BT Home Hub as a switch and additional wireless access point.

Rock solid WiFi and network connectivity around our house.  Reboot stuff maybe twice a year if unlucky.

That said I have the skills to run cable and set it up.  If I didn’t I might have had to pay someone else I guess.  If you’re in a position to do it it’s the way to go.