Menu
highwalker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent WiFi - several short drop-outs per day

My WiFi drops out - whole house - several times each day.  Usually only a minute or so, but then this requires various things to resync.  I am using a Hub 3.0 with M200 (and when the solution is working, I can get 200Mbps downlink). We've had the Hub 3 for a couple of years. Although the hub isn't in an ideal place in the house - a corner room, this is not a single device struggling to get connected - all the devices around the house drop out.  The VM web site indicates no service problems.

1. I don't think that it is power glitches - the lights in the house aren't affected etc and the hub is on a surge-protected plug.
  2.  When I get to see the hub after a drop it initially shows just the power light, which the VM online help implies shows it is working normally, and then goes to green flashing WiFi as connections are getting re-established.  I don't see the internet connection icons showing at all.
  3. Connecting to the hub, the Network log apparently doesn't show anything odd, although the log is clearly heavily filtered and doesn't show WiFi losses, and aspects of reboots either.
  4. The Hub has been rebooted,  and also Factory reset, without changing anything.
  5. External connection to the back of the hub seems fine - it is tight etc  (and I can get > 200 Mbps on the ethernet when the link is up).  

So, is it just that the WiFi hardware/firmware on Hub 3 is poor?  Is there any point calling Virgin Support since the outage is intermittent - would they replace the Hub 3 with a properly working one, or do you just have to bite the bullet and buy a separate WiFi solution, using the Hub in modem mode?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent WiFi - several short drop-outs per day

Sounds like it is just the wifi from the Hub is poor in your location. Can you verify by testing on an ethernet cable connected devices and seeing if that remains connected ok when the wifi ones drop.

If so you could try the tweaks below - they often help - or just do as I and many others on here do and ditch the Hub wifi and get your own better quality wireless equipment

If you call VM support, they will just offer to supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 
Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
highwalker
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent WiFi - several short drop-outs per day

Thanks: will try splitting the 2.4GHz & 5GHz out of the Hub 3 as well as trying to log via the Ethernet.  I have already checked the WiFi channel settings to avoid neighbouring channels that are avoidable, and I have a range extender upstairs using 2.4GHz backhaul to 5GHz for the last leg (wiring topology doesn't permit power line from downstairs to upstairs), but it is the Hub WiFi  that is dropping out, not the range extender. 
0 Kudos