Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent WiFi interference

I have been experiencing regular intermittent WiFi signal interference since the Network outage since the Service outage in London last April (this may be a coincidence).

It's present throughout the day from about 9am to 10:30pm

It only seems to be a problem during video calls, where the video connection hangs for a second every 30-36 seconds or so, but that may just be because almost every other program I use, like online video streaming buffers information and is able to have a little bit of 'give'.

Looking at the WiFi signal, it just drops to near-zero and picks up again, I don't actually lose connection.

network signal.JPG

It is restricted to one room.

I have switched off every electronic device in the flat, one at a time, to see which one is interfering, but even with everything switched off, the interference continues, which I suspect means the problem lies with my neighbours.

Since I have fat chance of my neighbours switching off whichever precious bit of kit is causing the interference, what can I do to shield my WiFi (or is the only solution to connect to my router by ethernet cable?)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent WiFi interference

Does a wired connection also drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Your picture hasn't been cleared yet, but a couple of questions:

Is the interference present on all channels and both WiFi bands?  If it's only on 2.4 GHz , try 5GHz.

Is it present all day between those times, or only intermittent?  The most likely source would be a leaky microwave oven next door.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have daily meetings at 9am and 2pm, which last about an hour and are subject to this inerference,  two weekly meetings, at about 7pm for a couple of hours each , and a virtual pub on Friday nights for a couple of hours from 9pm, all of which are subject to this interference.

I'll check the WiFi bands, just as soon as I can get a new router password from Virgin, for some reason the one on the box isn't working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I haven't been able to test due to a lack of cable, but since the problem is restricted to one room* I strongly believe it to be an interference with the WiFi rather than a problem with the router or broadband supply.

*moving rooms isn't a desirable fix for the problem 😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ArChivalrous wrote:

I haven't been able to test due to a lack of cable, but since the problem is restricted to one room* I strongly believe it to be an interference with the WiFi rather than a problem with the router or broadband supply.

*moving rooms isn't a desirable fix for the problem 😉

The only way to overcome interference is to use a more powerful Wi-Fi transmitter,

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Put the hub into modem mode with your own router or mesh system if it’s the WiFi from the hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos