cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent WiFi disconnects

jaloopa
Tuning in

I have a hub 3.0, no settings messed with, not hidden away in a corner. For a few weeks now I've had multiple WiFi connected devices disconnecting seemingly at random. It doesn't seem to be about weak signal since a laptop in the same room might disconnect while a device upstairs will be fine. I've gone through the help pages which report no issues, and I've tried a pinhole reset which hasn't helped. The live chat button at the end of the help pages doesn't do anything when clicked.

Is there anything else I can try or is it likely I have some bad hardware or something?

9 REPLIES 9

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jaloopa, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the connection, can you connect only one device and see if it drops? 

Would you be able to set up a broadband quality monitor here and post the results so that we can see the drop outs 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Chris.

With multiple children at home through the summer holidays, and my wife and me both working from home and needing the internet, it's hard to disconnect everything for a test that might have to run for a long time due to the intermittent nature of the fault. I can confirm that my sky box, connected via ethernet cable, never seems to have a problem.

Here's the think broadband link https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9c3c63666f0d9e0daa92a74bd180f92cae...

Hi jaloopa, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that the Wi-Fi is disconnecting. 

Can you confirm how many devices are connected when this happens? 

Are you still having issues with this since posting? 

Would you be able to perform a pin hole reset and run a fault test via the online account to see if it brings up any issues? 

Chris. 

We have about 12 devices. Most but not all will be connected at any one time, but things like Amazon Echos will mostly not be actively using their connections. 

Pin hole reset doesn't improve anything, the line checker says no problems. Eventually it gets to a page where it offers a live chat with a support agent but the button does nothing 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Your BQM look better than most your likely going to have to get a better router with 1Gb port and put hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

So, what? Is the virgin kit not up to the task of supplying WiFi to a couple of laptops and phones in a small family house? Buying my own router seems like a pretty terrible resolution when I never had this problem with my last ISP and their provided modem

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jaloopa wrote:

I never had this problem with my last ISP and their provided modem

modem? in that case you have the hub in the wrong mode you need to set it to modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You're being too literal and ignoring my actual issue. Clearly my hub is working for the most part otherwise I'd be complaining about not being able to connect, not about the devices I have connected sometimes dropping out. 

My last ISP provided me a router/modem that never dropped WiFi for any device. The hardware virgin has provided me doesn't do that, many devices struggle to stay connected. The one piece of advice I've had here (the place virgin support on twitter advised me to come as apparently it's not possible to actually talk to someone on the phone or web chat) boiled down to "lol get a new router", which I don't think is an acceptable conclusion given that other providers have been perfectly capable of keeping devices connected around my home. 

Hello jaloopa,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with  hub and connections
I'd like to take a look into this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L