cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent WiFi Super Hub 2

manicmoddin
Joining in

Hi,

We are having intermittent WiFi issues where by devices drop off the network, and then refuse to re connect.

I have tried the following (usually in this order)

Rebooted device
Rebooted Router
Changed the SSID to a different one, and then back again
Changed the PSK and then back again.
Powered off the router, leave it for about 10 mins and power back up and its all ok again for about 24 hours.

Some days its better than others.

This is affecting all WiFi devices, 3X HP laptops, Samsung phones & Tablet, various IoT equipment. If I hard wire in on the laptops affected they work fine, so ok for working from home etc, but cannot relax on the tablet etc.

Tried to go though the Live chat, but this just keeps going back to the home page. When trying to send a message in, it just errored.

I didn't think that the online checker would detect any issues but ran it anyway in an attempt to self help and this give me an error saying this service unavailable at the moment.

Not sure what else to try. I've fully unplugged everything in attempts to resolve it in the past which have made no difference.

In a working environment I had this issue with a Cisco Meraki AP and it turned out to be a failing WiFi chip, and a replacement was all that was required, same with the unifi stuff I currently manage in this employment.

How would one go about getting a replacement hub so that I can work from home and keep the mrs entertained on her wireless only equipment?

Best regards

Jimmy

12 REPLIES 12

Retro-Tech
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi,
Have you managed to resolve this yet? If not I might be able to help - can you send me a personal message; hover over my name and select send message.
Retro-Tech

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi,

Its not resolved yet, but I've PM'd you

Many thanks

Jimmy

Hi

This is still ongoing, 3 weeks later tried reboots and a 40 second pin reset as advised. This did nothing to help, just wiped all settings from router so had to reconfigure to my network.

How can I go about getting a new router though VM?

Best regards

Jimmy

What’s happened so far following your PM to the tech?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You could try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme - see the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3's.

If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then come back here for more assistance.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

Or... if the ethernet connected devices are connected with no problem, you could do as I and many other people do and stick the SH2 in modem mode and use your own (better quality) router and wireless equipment - a sound investment !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi,

I gave up with the lack of response from Techs etc, ran a cable to the office from the router and this works flawlessly. Still struggling with WiFi for the few times I'd like to use the laptop downstairs with the Mrs etc.

Looked into this link, but tells me I cannot make changes to the account online. so stuck there.

I'd love to get an after market router, as I like my network setup "My Way", but given I have had my hours reduced, I'm unable to afford this at the moment, as all my money is oing into keeping faithful with the bills etc.

I still seem to be unable to contact anyone at Virgin so am a little lost as where to go from here.

Regards

James Kemp

Hello?

What do we think the next step is to try and get support from the company I am paying?

Cheers

Jimmy

Wait for a mod to reply or call up. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Zuhair
Joining in

As your Hub transmits both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, you will see no distinction between the two as they'll both have the same WiFi name, but your device will connect to the best band based on distance from the Hub.