Menu
JBE79
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent WiFi Connectivity Issue

I have a Virgin Hub 3.0, on a 100Mbps Fibre contract for home broadband, which was installed in December 2020.

I have a Windows Laptop, and various Android devices, which connect to the WiFi fine and generally have a very high Internet Speed, apart from the odd drop off in service.

My wife has an iPhone, iPad and another Windows laptop (her work supplied), she has real connectivity issues on these devices and the Internet speed drops off completely (around 1-2Mbps). 

I've tried the following, which seemed to help, but have not permanently fixed the issue:

+Renaming the SSID for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals, so the faster 5GHz connection can be selected by the Apple devices.

+Turned off optimisation.

+Changed the channel bandwidth on the 5GHz signal to 20/40/80MHz (still on channel 36)

Is there any solution to the issue with the Apple devices losing connectivity, that can be achieved through other changes to the hub settings?

Has anyone with the same problem tried a mesh network, or signal boosters to resolve the issue, did it work? (Our house is not huge and I seem to get good signal strength at the furthest points from the router.)

TIA

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent WiFi Connectivity Issue

@JBE79 wrote:

I have a Virgin Hub 3.0, on a 100Mbps Fibre contract for home broadband, which was installed in December 2020.

I have a Windows Laptop, and various Android devices, which connect to the WiFi fine and generally have a very high Internet Speed, apart from the odd drop off in service.

My wife has an iPhone, iPad and another Windows laptop (her work supplied), she has real connectivity issues on these devices and the Internet speed drops off completely (around 1-2Mbps). 

I've tried the following, which seemed to help, but have not permanently fixed the issue:

+Renaming the SSID for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals, so the faster 5GHz connection can be selected by the Apple devices.

+Turned off optimisation.

+Changed the channel bandwidth on the 5GHz signal to 20/40/80MHz (still on channel 36)

Is there any solution to the issue with the Apple devices losing connectivity, that can be achieved through other changes to the hub settings?

Has anyone with the same problem tried a mesh network, or signal boosters to resolve the issue, did it work? (Our house is not huge and I seem to get good signal strength at the furthest points from the router.)

TIA

Have you also given the Apple devices the 2.4 GHz credentials - so they can use that if further away from the hub?  5GHz is faster than 2.4GHz but has less range.

Are your wife's devices being used at the same distance from the hub as yours?

Have you checked if there are any neighbouring hubs on the same channels? - use a free android app or inSSIDer on Windows to check.

Signal strength (RSSI) is not everything - other factors include driver/chipset compatibility with the hub, bugs, channel utilization and stability.  Many people find that using their own third party router with the VM hub in modem mode resolves a range of issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
JBE79
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent WiFi Connectivity Issue

Thanks for the help.

Just scanned local WiFi signals with app, as suggested, and channel 36 (our channel) was very busy with lots of competing routers, plus our Sky box mesh. Switched to another channel and it looks like it may have worked, although further testing is required.

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos