Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Internet connection

I moved into my current property 9 months ago ( having been with Virgin for over a decade i stuck with them)

Since moving my internet connection has been weak and intermittent ( my smart tv's didnt connect upstairs as the signal was too week) When the engineer first came out to set me up, he did advise me of some damage to cables further up the road that may cause me issues and was going to report it.

I like many have been working from home I contacted them again to say i was having constant issues with the internet dropping out,  i was advised the line was damaged and work was penciled to be carried out at the start of august that would solve all my issues (sent me boosters free to support) and they would be in contact to reimburse me and they confirmed the line has been damaged for the entire time I have been here.

We are now in Sept, the line still drops out constantly. I have no idea if and what work was carried out.  The connection feels like I am stuck in 2003

I just need my internet to work and a decent speed.

Help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Internet connection

"I just need my internet to work and a decent speed."

How do you know that it isn't and its just a wifi issue you are having?

If you connect a computer/laptop directly to the Hub by ethernet cable, how does that perform? If that connection is stable and gets your full speeds then its just the wifi you need to sort out/improve and there are lots of ways you can do that.

If that connection is a problem, come back here and we can look at why in more detail.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

that is a good question.

My office and my hub are in different rooms, plugging it in works fine. Although right now it is connected via wifi and it working.

I have re booted the hub,but i need a reliable wifi connection in order for it to be fit for purpose. In the past 10 mins it has dropped out twice and the speed feels sluggish and i am only opening web sites and not trying to do anything complex
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Either.....

1) A Mesh System
2) A Wireless router
3) A Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above

Thats the best option but if you aren't prepared to invest a few quid in the solution, There are a few tweaks you can try on the Hub's wifi to see if it helps (separate and rename the 2.4/5GHz SSID's and inactivate "channel optimisation") do help for some people. Also VM will offer wif "Boosters" to cover dead spots. These are free to customers on full house/Maxit packages and if you are, they are worth a try, otherwise they will charge you £3/mo and they aren't.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

appreciate all your suggestion and there were not base problems I would certainly consider the, however when Virgin tell me there is a fault on the line that is impacting my service and has done so for the past 9 months, I expect them to rectify this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK - a VM person ought to respond on here in a day or so and advise whether that fault was indeed rectified in August or not.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi djcurlywurly,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having.

I have taken a look on our side and I can see your hub hasn't been reported in over 50 days. 

Would you be able to reboot the hub and try the connection again to see if there is any improvement?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello.

I rebooted the hub a few days ago. It continues to drop out intermittently that evening but I have barely been at hone since. 

I am home all weekend so will be keeping an eye on it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi djcurlywurly

Thanks for coming back to us. I've checked the systems today and no issues are showing. Please keep me posted if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos