cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Internet Connectivity

roblangston
Joining in

Hi,

I am experiencing intermittent internet connectivity which started at 6PM on the 23rd July after a small service outage and is happening every day since.  This is a repeat of an issue I experienced a few years ago that forced me to leave virgin media for another provider as it could not be resolved.  This problem is causing any teams call or streaming to stop requiring a reconnection.  

23Jul2023.jpg04Aug2023.jpg

I would appreciate if someone could investigate the cause.  All equipment has been rebooted multiple times.

Regards,

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The second BQM (most recent ?) shows rhythmical disruption every hour (red line?).

So what Hub model do you have and what devices are connected to it on ethernet cables ?

Also worth a quick check for any “known network faults in your location - Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status)

2) Then also Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

roblangston
Joining in

Its a Hub 4 in modem only mode.  The only device connected to it is my Ubiquiti gateway.  Service status pages show no problems in the area.

Hi @roblangston 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

I am very sorry to hear of the internet issues. Your downstream power levels are all out of spec, this needs a technician visit to resolve.

I'll send you a PM now to get some details and book this in.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @roblangston 

Thanks so much for joining me on PM and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for downstream channel issue – If you need to reschedule, this can be done via your online account. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Take the ubiquiti out of the connection and run the Hub for a few hours to see if the BQM "cleans up".  If it does then you know the source of the issue

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

roblangston
Joining in

Hi, I had an engineer visit a few weeks ago who replaced the inside wall box and cabling.  Things were better for a couple of weeks but the problem has resurfaced.  I have tried putting the hub back into standard mode and isolating it from the network so no hardwired devices are connected and still get the same issue as when its in modem only mode.  Restarting the hub reduces the problem but it seems to gradually re-appear after a week or so to the point my connection freezes and buffers when streaming.  Latest BQM graph below:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0b7770188641c285b0f1ca0a3ec81e776c... 

roblangston
Joining in

You can clearly see the improvement when the router is restarted just after 12PM:-

broadband.jpg

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response on this roblangston,

Sorry to hear that similar issues have now reappeared.

From checking our service however I can't seem to find any readings that would attribute to intermittency.

Is the service the same since posting? 

Let us know,

Kain

roblangston
Joining in

Hi,

The last 24h, service has returned to normal indicated by the broadband monitor graph below:-

Screenshot_20230923-131612~3.png

Thanks,