Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Drop-Outs, Impossible to Contact VM!

I have been experiencing regular, intermittent WiFi drop-outs for almost 3 weeks now. I’ve tried calling on several occasions, waiting in queues for up to 50 mins without actually getting to speak to an advisor. I’ve even lodged a complaint with no response. Had enough now. Someone respond or we’re cancelling. 

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Drop-Outs, Impossible to Contact VM!

What is your connection like using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don’t have a network cable or adapter for my MacBook Pro. I’m not willing to pay upwards of £25 for the adapter, not when I’m paying £46 p/m for VM broadband. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM do not guarantee Wi-Fi speeds or connection, only the broadband connection to the Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Again, thanks for the reply. Everything was fine until about 3 weeks ago. Nothing whatsoever has changed here. The router has not been moved. I’m unwilling to pay for extra kit when I’m paying enough as it is, especially when it used to work fine with decent speeds. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It looks like you are now stuck between a poor connection and a remedy that you don't want to use.

Good luck.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Disagree. I’m fine with and happy to use a remedy. I’m not paying for a remedy. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@SGHough wrote:

Disagree. I’m fine with and happy to use a remedy. I’m not paying for a remedy. 

Good luck finding a free remedy.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Try Factory resetting the Hub using this exact method ...

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why this:

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing”

0 Kudos