cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Connection

BigSpanner
Tuning in

I currently have a poor Virgin Media M350 service. All was fine and very much enjoyed the speed and reliability. 3 months ago the signal became very unreliable (drops 10-15 times per day). I have had 4 different Virgin Media engineers to my property. They all said the same thing it’s a network issue, apparently it’s something to do with the network signal coming to my property. Virgin Media always acknowledge the network problem, never say what the problem is, always set a deadline to fix it, and the problem always carries on. Does anyone know how to get the attention of the network engineers at Virgin Media? I have tried to do this through the friendly customer service staff but they say they don’t how to prioritise the fix and they are never told what the problem is. I would dearly know how to prioritise this necessary network fix, otherwise I am off and I will take my £180 per month home bill with me and also cancel our firm’s business contract with Virgin Media.

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Lets gather some data.

First is anything being reported on the “check service,”Area status webpage https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status
Also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

Then set up a BQM and post the connection data as per this....

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. No need to log in - just click on the “Router Status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4/5) or top/right (SH’s) - of the Login page.
Then… Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Evs1
Tuning in

I’m in exactly the same boat. Hands down the worst customer service I’ve had. Polite in the conversations but as a firm utterly useless in either providing any answers or formulating a plan as to how they are going to find the answers! 

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi BigSpanner,

Thanks for your first post, welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm so sorry to hear you've had a poor experience trying to get your broadband issues sorted. I've had a look from here and I can see that the outage has been raised with our Network Team and they are currently working on the issue. The fault is estimated to be resolved by tomorrow, however these are only estimated times and are subject to change.

Please do let us know how things are at the end of the day tomorrow and if you need any further help.

Kind regards

Beth

BigSpanner
Tuning in

Thanks to jbrenand - I have been monitoring my broadband and I must say in terms of packet losses my chart has more red stripes than a Jamaican larger. Thanks go to Beth_G - a typically kind and well-meaning response from Virgin Media that tells me what I already know and promises a date when the issue will be fixed. Well, last Monday came and went and no improvement. I did find out this week that the work was not carried out and a new date set for today Friday 26th. I am not expecting it to be fixed.

IMG_1062.jpeg

Hi @BigSpanner,

I've had another look sat our systems for you and can see the estimated time of fix has been extended to 03 JUN 2023 14:35.

We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha,

My thanks to you and the very pleasant person I spoke to at Virgin Media today. So another date to fix the network issue in TW11 comes and goes and yet the awful intermittent service continues, but wait I hear you say we have another date in the future when it will be fixed. When I ask, given the trail of already broken promises, how do I know you will fix the network issue, the reply comes you don’t. So given I have been living with this poor service for so long and Virgin Media seem either not care about it, or are incapable of fixing it I am going to give the Alternative Dispute Resolution ‘ADR’ services provided by ‘Ombudsman Services’. The saga continues and no doubt more exciting chapters are to come. Look out for future posts, that’s of course if my broadband is up long enough for me to type a message. In the meantime, stay clear of Virgin Media’s wonderfully fast and yet utterly unreliable broadband service.

Seems OK between 1 AM and 8 AMSeems OK between 1 AM and 8 AM

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It looks like a noise issue - they can be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause and sort it - usually a lot of "trial and error" cable swaps until its sorted. 

But on the bright side... it doesnt look like an overutilisation issue to me - these often take much longer (years) to resolve - if ever - just search these fora for those horror stories.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Good Afternoon @BigSpanner, and thanks for your patience on this matter.

I've looked into the local area, and the outage does appear to still be present and is estimated to run until 03/06/23 at 14:35 - as per my colleague advised further up the thread.

Our team will do all within their power to hit this estimated time frame and hopefully restore the services for the long term.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn