Menu
VanessaL
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Connection

I've been with Virgin Media in my current property for +5 year with no issues. In the past two months I have had intermittent connection with the wifi dropping out randomly sometimes only for a few seconds nevertheless it's extremely frustrating especially working from home.  I have the latest hub.

The Virgins Media website is great for information and I've been through all the self help tips like moving the hub away from obstructions, checking the service in my area, hub factory reset etc but the issue is reoccurring.  I thought it would subside when my teenagers went back to school but unfortunately not. Not sure if it's related but I've also noticed if I'm streaming TV such as YouTube is can sometimes 'blink' for a second but this is rarer than the intermittent wifi (maybe as I don't stream much?!).  

Now I'm stuck.  The Virgin Media website is put my in a constant loop and I can't find a 'contact us' or sure where to go next.  Can you help?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent Connection

Can you test your connection on a computer/laptop connected directly to your Hub by a Cat5e/7 ethernet cable and see if that is having the same issues. It will help diagnose whether all your issues are wifi only and the network connection is fine

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
VanessaL
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry John, how do i do that?!
0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @VanessaL,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post - I'm sorry to to hear you've been having connection issues for the past couple of months.

I've just taken a quick look into your account using the details you've registered with forums and can see that there are a few devices struggling with WiFi in the house as you've mentioned. 

It appears that some of the smart devices may be jumping on the wrong frequency and subsequently affecting the performance for the rest of the devices in the house - take a look at our guide on Changing Wireless Channels and see if that helps improve things. It will be worth checking on the packaging for some Smart devices in the house to see what frequency the manufacturers recommend (2.4GHz / 5GHz). 

Going on from John's reply, a wired connection is via Ethernet Cable which will have arrived in your box along with your Hub 3. If it isn't already, would you be able to link it up to a computer/laptop and see of the same connection issues occur eg. disconnections? If the connection is OK then we can put this down to a wireless issue.

Let me know how you get on or if you have further questions 🙂 

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
VanessaL
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've now been able to connect directly to the hub via an ethernet cable and the connection is much better so what does that mean - it's an issue internally? What are the next steps?  Many thanks in advance for your help

@jbrennand

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi VanessaL,

Thanks for coming back to us after connecting your laptop via Ethernet - I'm glad your connection is much more stable with that. It gives us a bit more insight into what the issue may be. As it seems only WIFI is having issues with connection, which usually means there is something within your home causing an issue. 

Some common problems with WIFI signal can be objects disrupting the signal from the Hub - thick walls, large electrical appliances, TV's, microwaves and more can all have an adverse affect on the Hub's WIFI signal. One way to find out if this is the cause of your WIFI woes is to use the Connect App to scan your home in order to find WIFI weak spots. Could you try this now and let us know what it finds?

Can I also ask if the connection is fine if you're close to the Hub, but become intermittent if you move into another room or upstairs?

Thanks!

Megan_L

0 Kudos