Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Connection

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice here. I've just switched to M100 broadband with Virgin. Was previously with Sky. I left Sky because as soon as I switched to a faster broadband, the connection started being intermittent in the whole downstairs of my house. 

After moving the router around, 3 engineer appointments and lots of misadvice and mismanaged expectations, there was no resolve. I've just had my Hub 3 installed today by the VM engineer and I seem to be having the same issue. He will come back at a later date to help move the WiFi router around but he said that the problem is with the theatre opposite me recently upgrading their internet which is causing some interference with other people in the area. So he explained that even by moving it around (like I did with Sky), it may not resolve the issue.

Now I'm not sure what to do because I feel that I won't be able to get the most out of my package and all devices downstairs don't work properly. I'm wondering if getting a new router would help, if so which one would people recommend? If there is other advice, please let me know 🙂 

TL;DR: I recently switched to Virgin M100 and have the same intermittent connectivity I had before which is being put down to a commercial property changing their internet. Not sure what to do.

Thanks

nahmed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Connection

What’s intermittent?

Wired connections? Wireless connections?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As Gary has suggested... if the issue is just wifi in your location then Sky/VM/other 's Hubs provide poor wifi as they are built to a low price point.

If your ethernet connections are all good and there are no connection issues you should consider doing what I and many others on here do and put the Hub into modem mode and get your own better quality fit-for- purpose wireless equipment to sort it once and for all.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent wireless connection - the connection keeps dropping out almost immediately after connecting, even when I'm right near the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, is there any particular ones you would recommend? Confused by all of the technical specs at the moment. I just want one that is stable and won't be as susceptible to interference (from the theatre apparently).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Depends... What size/layout/construction is your property?

Some thoughts I have posted previously.
------------------------------------------------------

Get either.....

1) A Mesh System
2) A Wireless router
3) A Wireless access points
OR
4) A combination of the above

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in a "bigger" house, but then spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system.

You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat.

Good options for Access points are Ubiquiti, (routers also) and from these companies for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems such as TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latley's like Google, BT, Amazon etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos