Menu
Tonga
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Connection

Hi 

I've had perfect internet & TV service for 18 months until 2 months ago when my internet started cutting out or slowing for up to a half an hour at a time.  I've had two engineers come, one of which thought they'd found the issue and fixed it, but it changed nothing.  I've had a new hub, virgin changed the hub channel and re-started it multiple times.  Virgin tells me the orange light means nothing but every time its on (versus white), it's starts intermittently cutting out.  I've emailed proof using broadband tracking sites to fms2ndlineswansea@virginmedia.com but haven't had a reply. I'm due to leave virgin next week (due to the £5 price increase given me an out) but I'd prefer to stay if the issue can be fixed.  If anyone has any advise on how to get through to a helpful department (which happens 1/100 times) or how to fix the issue, I would be grateful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent Connection

Just to be clear... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Also, in the meantime, to "visualise" network disconnections, if you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tonga
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. 

Have you found the intermittent connection is solved even after multiple visits? It's the same issue over ethernet and on all devices. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I think it's too late to get another engineer out before my leaving date.   By the time I get through to someone, they find the internet working fine because its intermittent. I'm just concerned Sky will be even worse as it used to drop a ton in my old house when I had sky years ago hence why I switched. Not sure what to do.  I've just seen an article saying the Swansea office closed down, so the email I was given to send the readings to apparently was to a closed office 🙄

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just a few points.

Seems odd that Sky and VM were both problematic as they use completely separate infrastructures so a fault on both is twice as unlikely. Although I guess you were in different properties - so it may have been just bad luck. I would have said that its more likely that the issue is related to your wireless environment and the poor quality Hubs that both companies supply to provide the wifi signal. But you say ethernet is affected - so that's unlikely then too.

If you set up up the BQM via the link, that may prove it one way or another irrespective of whether a Tech visit is needed to sort anything.

What readings" were you sending to Swansea - Gas meter ? Electricity meter?

Sending emails to VM to cancel a service will not have cancelled your service - you will continue to receive VM service and be billed for it as they probably have no record of you cancelling - it can only be done on the phone or in writing.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tonga
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I sent them what I was instructed to send by a virgin tech - internet speed tracking like attached. Cancelled over the phone. A tech has already visited - he thought he'd found/fixed the issue but it made no difference. Why would I send a media company gas readings 😂

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 15.52.43.png

0 Kudos
Tonga
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not sure if that image will show up, but it's basically a screenshot of the monitoring service I found which measured Mbps for the hours when it was acting intermittent.  It was similar to the link you gave but less detailed.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No these are speed tests - thats not what a BQM is measuring. It looks ate the quality of the connection - click the link and find out what it does.

I cant tell from the speedtests posted whether the speed tests were done on wifi or ethernet connections. In any case as VM dont "guarantee" speeds on wifi then you have to test on an ethernet connection like this.

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets if you want to pursue this further

--------------------
John
--------------------

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tonga,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your service. 

I have taken a look on our side and can see you have requested to disconnect the service on the account. 

Is this something you still wish to go ahead with?

^Martin

Tonga
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin, the connection issue has improved quite a bit the last few days so I would like to cancel my disconnection and continue to explore a way to fix the issue. However, the retentions team appears to be closed when I call. Can you help so I'm not disconnected? Thank you

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Tonga

Thanks for coming back to us - it's great to hear the connection has improved. 

Will PM you now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos