Menu
gordon861
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Connection Drops

Over the last few days I'm getting random drop outs of the internet.

I'll be sitting here on the internet with it all working well and the connection will just drop, the main light on the front of the box will flash and go solid white for a few minutes and then start flashing as it restarts.

Tried calling 150, the automated system ran its checks and told me to reboot the VM Router, did that and no change.

VM Router being used in modem modem mode and wired rather than wifi.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Connection Drops

Modem mode with a third-party router attached?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
gordon861
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yes.

And two mins after posting this the connection dropped again.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Post back the network, upstream and downstream logs from the hubs admin pages as text please

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
gordon861
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Total pain in the neck to get these logs, needed to turn off the router and plug in a laptop to pull the logs off but got:

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)          235000000                     Locked
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)                60300000                       Locked

DownDownUp 1Up 1Up 2Up 2

Also got a bunch of error messages from the last month in the logs, I have removed the MAC Addresses as I won't post them in an open forum:

Error
DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4
option;CM-MAC=[mac removed];CMTS-
MAC=[mac removed];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Critical
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-
MAC=[mac removed];CMTS-MAC=[mac removed];CM-
QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thats only a partial set of data - there are 12 down channels and a table of RS errors missing - also can you post it this way...

Copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:
Post back the network, upstream and downstream logs from the hubs admin pages as text please

0 Kudos
gordon861
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yea tried to do it 'as text' but the problem is that I cannot get into the modem pages when connected to via the router, I had to disconnect, reboot and plug in a laptop to get the info.  I tried cut and paste into another file and it messed up the headings and columns.

Perhaps if VirginMedia invested in a decent hub, it might allow you to export all the required info as a text file, or at the very least not put some of the logs in a scrollable window that stops you even being able to print them to PDF or even display them on a larger screen without the scroll (why does anyone thing that these types of window are all right?).

Anyways, spoke to a very nice guy in Leicestershire who went through all the checks that they can do and found some 'warnings' but the system doesn't tell him anything else than 'escalate to faults department' but due to Covid they may take up to 30 days.  I am not going to leave it 30 days, if it's still bad at the weekend I'll be making more calls.

He also suggested a factory reset of the VM Hub which has been done but of course that causes its own problems, but all appears to be up again now.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

From what you've posted it seems fine though.

Did you setup the BQM?

And does it affect wired or wireless connections?

0 Kudos
gordon861
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The guy I spoke to said the info seemed to indicate it was OK, but he also had another warning, I think it was something 'out of range' or similar.

The broadband monitor doesn't show any problems, which implies it's the router just rebooting rather than the connection dying.  I'm also running a data feed to FlightTracker24 which shows the gaps in my feed when the reboot takes place.  Internally when the reboot happens the local network carries on fine, I have CCTV on the network that I can still see locally.

0 Kudos