Menu
ChrisMcDee
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Broadband w/ GlobalProtect VPN

Hi,

I've just started a new job working from home and need to use Global Protect VPN on a work laptop. Several times a day my WiFi connection will drop to "No Internet" for a minute or so before it can re-establish the connection. Obviously this kicks me out of video meetings, disrupts file downloads, and makes working very difficult.

I'm connecting to a Hub 3.0 via Wi Fi and other wireless devices work just fine in the same room (I'm using my personal laptop in there at the moment without any connection issues at all, but it doesn't let me do everything I need for work).

While connected to WiFi I get good connection speeds (~60Mbs) while it is up. 

I've tried connecting through a Powerline Adapter, which gave a slightly slower speed than the WiFi but no fix to the intermittent disconnections. We don't really have a way to run an ethernet cable upstairs, but when I've moved the laptop next to the Hub and connected via ethernet it seems to maintain its connection well. 

I've spoken to the IT department at work and they suggested the following:

1: Disable Advanced Network Error Search (I've done this and rebooted the Hub. No change

2: Enable VPN passthrough (seems like this isn't an option on Hub 3.0)

Can anybody advise what I can do? Is there a way to enable VPN passthrough on my Hub 3.0 or do I need to try something else?

Also, I've been completely unable to make any contact with Virgin to resolve this, so thank you in advance to any community members that are able to help out. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Broadband w/ GlobalProtect VPN

@ChrisMcDee wrote:

Hi,

I've just started a new job working from home and need to use Global Protect VPN on a work laptop. Several times a day my WiFi connection will drop to "No Internet" for a minute or so before it can re-establish the connection. Obviously this kicks me out of video meetings, disrupts file downloads, and makes working very difficult.

I'm connecting to a Hub 3.0 via Wi Fi and other wireless devices work just fine in the same room (I'm using my personal laptop in there at the moment without any connection issues at all, but it doesn't let me do everything I need for work).

While connected to WiFi I get good connection speeds (~60Mbs) while it is up. 

I've tried connecting through a Powerline Adapter, which gave a slightly slower speed than the WiFi but no fix to the intermittent disconnections. We don't really have a way to run an ethernet cable upstairs, but when I've moved the laptop next to the Hub and connected via ethernet it seems to maintain its connection well. 

I've spoken to the IT department at work and they suggested the following:

1: Disable Advanced Network Error Search (I've done this and rebooted the Hub. No change

2: Enable VPN passthrough (seems like this isn't an option on Hub 3.0)

Can anybody advise what I can do? Is there a way to enable VPN passthrough on my Hub 3.0 or do I need to try something else?

Also, I've been completely unable to make any contact with Virgin to resolve this, so thank you in advance to any community members that are able to help out. 

sounds more like a dodgy wireless connection than anything else - the fact that it was good/stable when connected via ethernet is the biggest giveaway 🙂

fundamentally, the VPN is working (so no need to enable any passthrough etc.) it just sounds like the wifi signal is dropping for long enough for the VPN connection to sever.

Assuming the connection is otherwise good/stable, the most obvious recommendation is to improve your wifi signal, which entails spending money on better wifi equipment - either a mesh system or a better router - and using your hub as a modem only.. 

ChrisMcDee
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Are these options something I need to speak to Virgin about? At the moment I can't seem to find any way to get in touch with them.

If the issue was with the WiFi connection then wouldn't I be experiencing it with other devices in the same area? Also using a Powerline Adapter didn't seem to help at all. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisMcDee wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Are these options something I need to speak to Virgin about? At the moment I can't seem to find any way to get in touch with them.

If the issue was with the WiFi connection then wouldn't I be experiencing it with other devices in the same area? Also using a Powerline Adapter didn't seem to help at all. 

if you are on the 1gb package, or ultimate oomph package, then you can get a "wifi pod" from Virgin for free.. this would extend your wifi signal and is worth trying (since it's free)

If you are on any other package, they will charge you £5 per month for one of these.. and it's poor value (IMHO).  You're better off taking that money and putting it towards your own router/mesh system.

As for the other devices working - vpn's can be sensitive to packet loss/link disruption etc. the other devices, i assume, are also things like phones / tablets (or even other PCs) that you turn to and hit a web browser or something to check if it's working.. 

it could be minor disruption, but lose enough packets and the VPN link will drop.. 

ChrisMcDee
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I really don't want to have to spend my own money to get Virgin's service to work for its intended purpose, so if that's the only option that's left do you know if other ISPs have better wifi with the hubs that they provide?

We used BT some years back but I seem to remember their hub not being especially reliable.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisMcDee wrote:

Thanks. I really don't want to have to spend my own money to get Virgin's service to work for its intended purpose, so if that's the only option that's left do you know if other ISPs have better wifi with the hubs that they provide?

We used BT some years back but I seem to remember their hub not being especially reliable.

All ISP supplied devices tend to be a bit [REMOVED] - cheap and cheerful to maximise profits 🙂

It doesn't have to be excessive (you can buy a mesh system from a reputable brand for ~£100 - it might not be the fastest available, but it should be vastly more reliable than the VM supplied tat). 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

ChrisMcDee
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Would the Mesh system have a different impact to Powerline Adapters and Wifi Extenders? As we've tried both of those (sorry, forgot to mention the wifi extender before). Neither of them helped with the VPN.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

extenders and PLAs are probably the worst options when it comes to delivering decent connectivity across the house.

Wiring in Access Points is the gold standard, but running cables everywhere is usually what puts people off.

Mesh systems are a more recent trend that eliminates the need to run cables but provides decent performance. 

ChrisMcDee
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for your help. Is there a Mesh System you'd recommend under £100?

To be honest I'm thinking we'd be better off moving to another ISP but good to weigh up all the options.

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

this is probably the best for the £100 mark - it's currently £130 but flips between 100 and 130 quite often.. you'll have to wait it out a bit if you want it for £100.

edit: worth noting that you can continue to use it if you move ISP too - so it should last a good few years 🙂

0 Kudos