Menu
MaureenA
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Broadband Connection

I have spent the last three days contacting Virgin regarding my Broadband connection. Yesterday I spent over an hour testing the hub plugging in internet cables at their request and doing a factory reset. I was asked to test the tweets that they made at their end for 24 hours and if no change to call back. There was no change. Today I called back and went through the whole rigmarole again despite saying I had done all this already. What I need is an engineer visit as my Virgin Media package has been like this from day one. I took up the package on 19/11/2020. Today was the last straw when the agent told me despite asking to speak to someone in a higher authority that he had done all that he could and no he couldn’t transfer me to either his supervisor or book an engineer as it was not in his remit. All he could offer was that his supervisor would call back within 24 hours. That was three hours ago.

What do I have to do. I have a daughter who should in this current climate be working from home but can’t because we do not have a reliable connection.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Broadband Connection

What’s not working exactly?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
MaureenA
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The broadband. It works on the hardwired PC but once away from the hub using WiFi anything more than 15ft it drops out every 10-15 minutes and is completely unusable. I have been trying to tell Virgin this but seem to get nowhere
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If a wired connection is working fine then there’s little can be done.

Wifi speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed. You’d need to put the hub into modem mode and attach your own better router or mesh system to optimise the Wifi. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
MaureenA
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I already have two extenders fitted and they don’t help the situation

0 Kudos
MaureenA
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Even the hardwired PC is slow nothing like  the 200mbps in the package it is supposed to be

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I didn’t say extenders. They won’t help at all. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MaureenA wrote:

Even the hardwired PC is slow nothing like  the 200mbps in the package it is supposed to be

What speeds are you getting wired?

Are you using a CAT5E or better cable and a gigabit enabled device? And wiring direct to the hub?

0 Kudos
MaureenA
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes to all three questions

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What about the first of the 4 questions?

What speeds are you getting wired?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos