Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Broadband Connection - BUT on one PC only

In our household we use two laptop computers. Virigin Media is our broadband supplier. The connection to one but not the other laptop drops out regularly, which is strange. The main manifestation of this has been very annoying interruption of Zoom and Skype conference calls.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent Broadband Connection - BUT on one PC only

Use a wired connection?

Whats the spec of the wireless card in the machine that’s dropping?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I don't know, it is the computer my partner uses, but it is a more modern one than mine. My laptop is physically nearer the Hub than his, but on the other hand he has no problems using his smartphone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrewjohn46,

Thanks for your response, is this issue still on going or have you managed to resolve this?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi David. It is my partner who has been having the issues, which have only been partly resolved. It is still not clear why we are having problems on one laptop and not the other. Here is his summary of the current situation:

Persistent problems

- Computer keeps disconnecting from wifi – it usually says it is connected, but it doesn’t actually work – can usually reconnect by selecting ‘disconnect’ and ‘reconnect’ for our wifi network on list of available networks shown on computer-

- Broadband speed is much worse than on other computer in the household (even if they are both located in the same room with the hub) – response time (latency) is typically 60ms and can be as high as 130ms (needs to be below 50ms to be good for video calls) – download speed is typically 30Mbps, compared with 100Mbps advertised speed and over 90 achieved on other computer.

Action taken so far

•      Wireless network adapter updated
  •      Have tried switching router and computer off, leaving for ten minutes, and switching on again
  •      Gone through Windows diagnostics.

If you are able to provide nay more advice, that would be gratefully received; if not, many thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wireless speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed.

You need to test the connection with a wired connection. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrewjohn46

Can I ask if the laptop in question is a work supplied laptop with a work VPN etc?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos