cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittence in Downstream/Upstream

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

Hi there.

The problem - To keep a long story as short as possible - For the last week or so we have been experiencing intermittence in overall connectivity both in downspeed and up. The upstream is very noisy as per what the router settings display, with SamKnows tests frequently reporting back 20mb/s or less. Downspeeds appear stable until they are not. They've always been far lower than the "up to" maximum but that's okay, I'm used to it as we're in a very over-subcribed area it would seem. Perhaps utilisation spikes is to blame? Occasionally we will get complete connection drop-outs for moments at a time though it's mostly extreme slowdown for several minutes at a time before it recovers. This will either happen once or twice a day usually around early-mid afternoon and/or at peak time. The router may flash briefly in that time too, as if trying to update firmware though this has never usually been a consistent issue. Needless to say I'm full WFH though not under my own roof. I am also NOT the only person having this issue after having spoken to neighbours. The alarm has been raised to VM by several but of course, no movement.

The first time I called the support line was yesterday and was told there's an issue in the area though the VM fault line was not reporting the same thing. Today I called back to check on it and was told there's no issues and that yesterday was "short term" but... well, the below table presents a different picture. I'm growing tired of being given a different answer every time I ask. The last guy I spoke to on the phone said I'll be called back by a supervisor in the next 2 hours. Hasn't happened. They said they'd raise it to "Network Assessment Management Team" but I'm unsure if that means it'll be checked properly, so I'm raising the complaint here too.

3.0 Upstream channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

14960000045.0205995120 KSym/sec16QAM1
24310000044.5205995120 KSym/sec16QAM2
33660000044.5205995120 KSym/sec16QAM3
42360000044.0205995120 KSym/sec16QAM5
53010000044.2705995120 KSym/sec16QAM4

Looks familiar. Also fairly regular T3 Timeouts. I won't claim to know specifics on that, I'm no network engineer of course but it's clear similar problems are happening but now the downstream is affected as well? Weird.

Some background - (1) August last year we had similar issues with Upload specifically. This was sorted in a few days after a problem was found on the network side. SNR.

(2) In December last year we were riddled with the same issue for over 2 weeks with no movement from VM on checking the network until I'd managed to speak to management by a complete miracle who escalated it after 2 failed tech visits, as well as regular correspondence with a staff member here, providing evidence via PingPlotter, router status, BQM and overall patterns. Once again, it was found to be an SNR issue on the network and was finally fixed shortly after.

Needless to say, to see the same or similar problem appear potentially appear a 3rd time is quite grating at this point. I know it's not my end, I can see that very easily especially when it's a repeat of the same issue and others close by are also having the same. Tech visits back in December (before the issue was finally escalated) replaced a bunch of parts in the box outside, connections were tightened etc. and they've remained that way since. Router is restarted semi-regularly. A friend in telecommunications was also able to confirm that this issue would not be my house. I'm sure the latter is something you hear a lot to try and push VM along, but going down a script feels very pointless by now. I'm sorry about the tone, but I'd really like this to not be another 2-3 week back-and-forth. Any help is appreciated. Don't think a regular engineer visit is going to be of much use this time.

Thanks for reading.

17 REPLIES 17

Acting up as we speak. QAM down to 16 or 32 across all channels just like clockwork. Always around this time of day for a while and then again later on without fail. Please can somebody look into this...phone support are no help at all.

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

Called just now and phone support won't even send an engineer out to the property despite me asking (even though I'm very sure they won't find anything here), stating that the connection is "fine" so their system won't let them. I've never felt so hopeless in my life 😞

Hi there @SerenayaXIV 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

We are so sorry that you have faced these issues with your services. 

I have taken a look on our side but I cannot see any issues that could be causing this, can you set up a BQM for us? 

This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc 
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

Hi, Ashleigh. Thanks for responding. Sure, I'll do that now though I'm unsure if it'll record the state of the upstream but rather just the downstream which at least seems more stable, whereas the upstream is an issue that seems to regularly affect my area. Regardless, I've set it up now and it's collecting. Things seem stable for the moment but as mentioned, problems seem to happen around late lunchtime and sometimes in the evening and seems to be, more often than not, the upstream -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5898c58f354e0e76c60916493bac3de364bac9a9

Thank you for providing this @SerenayaXIV 

We'll keep an eye on any patterns of intermittency or issues at our side that we can raise further. 

I have checked the systems and all is within spec. I have also checked the area and there was some high traffic over the weekend that has since resolved itself. 

Please do keep us posted if the issue worsens or if you have any further question or concerns with your services. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi, Carley.

Thank you for this. All seems stable for the time-being, QAM is still 16 on one channel (2) but is not causing issues for me so far. I'll be sure to let you know what it looks like if it happens again. Appreciate your help with this.

SerenayaXIV
On our wavelength

Hi there.

After a couple of quiet days on the upstream front, the problem is rearing its head again. The BQM appears normal but will not pick up these drops in upstream connection since Downstream has been fine. Upon inspecting router settings, the QAM has dropped across all channels, lining up perfectly with when the drops happen. Definitely still an issue with noise in the circuit somewhere on a very intermittent level. Below is a screenshot of the QAM when it happens.

upstream noise.PNG

Thanks for coming back to us SerenayaXIV, I have looked into this and can see that we will need to send a technician out to look into this problem. 

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L