Menu
tinkjon
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Intermittant WiFi drop-out

Hi all,

I have the Virgin Media hub 3.0. The wired connection to the computer is very reliable and almost always works. However, in the last month or so the WiFi has become very temperamental - dropping out throughout the day. Sometimes it drops out for just 20-30 seconds, but sometimes it can be up to half an hour. It can be very frustrating because I am working from home at the moment and my children need WiFi for their home-schooling classes.

I have the Virgin Media app and there are no blackspots or issues (when the WiFi is working). The WiFi can be working perfectly when I am using it at the kitchen table, but then it will drop-out for a short time without me moving - so it's not a problem of being in an area in the house with poor WiFi.

Do I need a new Virgin Media hub?

I asked on Virgin Media twitter, and after a few questions they said "Due to the technical nature of your query it would be best to post on our community help forms...If the community are unable to help resolve the issue, a member of the team will be along to help."

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittant WiFi drop-out

As your ethernet connections are all fine - it does suggest its a Hub wifi issue but do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

You could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands on the Hub3 and also switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.

To address this, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever

Get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3)..

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
1plus1n
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittant WiFi drop-out

Have seen and heard a few issues with the service especially the wi/fi i actually ended up buying a separate router for wi/fi tbh

0 Kudos