Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Intermettent drop outs throuout the day

I am having major problems with my WiFi dropping out during the day.

Working from home is becoming increasingly difficult as are video conferences.

I managed to get a tech support guy about 10 days ago, who promised me a new hub. But heard nothing since and have not been able to contact Virgin at all since then. No Chat facility and numbers have been taken down.

I tried texting the number at the top of this page, but have received no response.

Is anyone else having, or had, similar issues? How did you resolve it?

I have been with Virgin for more than 15 years (virgin.net email) but have to say, Virgin support has been extremely poor. To the point wher I am seriously considering switching provider.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermettent drop outs throuout the day

Does a wired connection also drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have Nest cameras with a hard wired connection. These have been dropping out longer than the wifi, so I suspect whatever is the cause is getting worse.y WiFi. I have a HUB 2, so separate 2.4G and 5G connections.

Sometimes one drops out before the other and sometimes the reconnect automatically. Other times I have to reboot the hub.

I have reset the hub and discussed with a Virgin Tech support. He agreed I needed a new hub but nothing has happened since. No contact, no order, no hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lessumo,

Apologies for the dropouts you're seeing at the moment, I understand how frustrating that is, especially when you're relying on a stable connection.

I have a few observations from the testing I've been able to do so far. First of all, your hub is reporting back as being in modem mode, is that a recent change? If so, it's less likely that the hub is causing drops with wifi etc, and more likely that the drops are due to loss of connection to the network. I've checked the network segment as well and there have been a few periods where the upstream SNR has dropped a little below where we'd expect to see it. I suspect the drops coincide with this activity.

Going forward, could you please confirm the setup you're currently using? Could you also set up a Broadband Quality Monitor and share the graph here after 24 hours of activity? That will help determine if the SNR drops are causing you to lose connection.

Get back to me once you've had chance to do that, and we can look at it further from there.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev,

After a total lack of response from Virgin, I bought a Linksys router at the weekend and switched the HUB 2 to modem mode.

I am now monitoring how it goes. There have been no wifi connection issues, but a couple of internet connection drop outs.

Previously, both were happening but WiFi connection was most frequent. 

Do I need to reinstate the HUB 2 to router mode to run the SNR monitor.

I am reluctant to return to the HUB 2 router as it was impacting my work.

Regards Les

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Lessumo,

Thanks for your post you cannot do a BQM graph while in modem mode if you could turn this off and post a live link so we can get a better idea of what is going on.

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zoe,

I have installed a Linksys EA9500 router connected to the Super HUB 2 as a modem.

Currently my platform is stable, so don't want to change it while working, it will have to wait until weekend.

It was checked 3-4 weeks ago by a tech support guy from Virgin (just before they removed all direct contact details from the website).

He said that I needed a new HUB and would arrange to send me a new HUB 3.

I have not heard anything since and no response on the text only number.

So I took matters into my own hands.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry about this, 

Can you please post a live BQM graph so I can help further,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As you said earlier,  i can only do that when I switch off modem mode.

The current BQMs show 100% drop out.

So it will be at the weekend.

0 Kudos