Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Intermediate wifi

I have been having intermittent WiFi for 2 months registering from below 1 mbs to not being able to connect. I currently on 200 mbs for 10+ devices at £55 a month. The answers on this forum is to contact virgin media but they do not answer the phone and I cannot get any where in the message log. So far been asked 5 times if I'm the account holder. I have been advised to post on this forum as another avenue for help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermediate wifi

What speeds do you get wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I can get 160mbs on a good day at the hub but 2-3 meters of WiFi and its goes down. I'm more interested in them contacting me

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Been trying to phone for a month but no luck so far no luck on the message service and nothing from my emails. Only connect I had was via Facebook and they told me to come here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I understand all of that my two issues are I'm paying for something I'm not getting and want them to contact me and sometimes it cuts out altogether 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You don't pay for WiFi though - the speeds you pay for a speeds TO the hub and then achievable on a compatible wired device.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos