cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent Wi-fi pods speed

greg_whitehouse
Joining in

Hi all,

I'm having some real frustrations with the Virgin Intelligent Wi-fi pods.

I'm on a gigabit connection, and can see that I'm getting the full 1Gb to the Hub 4 router (using https://samknows.com/realspeed/_ ) test

I ordered an initial Wi-fi pod, as my office is on the complete opposite end of the house, and getting a very poor wireless connection. I connected this pod via a Cat-6 cable directly to the router, and placed it in the hallway. The speeds upstairs were still not great, so I got in touch with the Technical team and ordered a 2nd pod.

I've also placed this pod in the same room (hall/stairs/landing), at the top of the stairs (approx 6/7m away from the first one). They don't have direct line of sight to each other, but are definitely close enough to maintain a solid mesh connection.

When standing next to the first pod and running SpeedTest on my phone, I get speeds of approx 500Mbps, which is great. However, when connecting directly to the second one, my speeds drop right down to 30Mbps.

Could there be a fault with this second pod, or any settings I can change/modify? I have channel optimisation set to 'on' and channels set to 'auto' for both 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

greg_whitehouse
Joining in

Quick addition: if I unplug the second Pod, and run a speed test on my phone from that same location, I still get over 350Mbps.

Really baffled at the significant drop of speed between the 2 pods.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI Greg, welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the pods. Can you see the link here to troubleshoot with the pods and let us know if anything changes? Chris.