Menu
La86
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Installing new router

Hello folks, I’m after some help if any of you could be so kind?

I’ve bought a new router as I’m sick of the super hub 3 playing up.

I’ve put the super hub in modem mode no problems at all.  I’ve then connected the new Asus router to the super hub via Ethernet but I still have a red light on the front of the new router an I have no internet signal at all.

I can pick up the wireless signal the new router is giving out but it’s got no internet connection

Do I need to change the settings in the router to allow something?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installing new router

Did you follow this sequence?

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & NAT mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
La86
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, I’ll try again in the morning I’ve had enough for the night now haha 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Follow Johns instructions - but try rebooting the hub (it should stay in modem mode) with the router connected - let it boot back up and see if you have an internet connection - and that the router has acquired a WAN side IP address.

It can be troublesome - I had to do a reboot (power off/on) of the hub modem to trigger the Virgin DHCP server when I connected my own router recently.  It sat for like 30 mins saying no Internet (and had no WAN IP address) but got one straight away when hub was rebooted.

You can also connect a laptop direct by ethernet cable and see if you have web access.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
La86
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry folks only just getting around to having another go tonight.

Hubs is back in modem mode and connected to the new router.

New router is on and set up and I’ve got it plugged into the laptop now and it is saying “Your ISP’s DHCP does not function properly”

Is this a fault in virgins end or is it something that I can change in the router settings? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do it this way.

Power hub off in modem mode for 2mins.
Connect a PC/laptop to hub and power on.
Let the PC/laptop get internet if not unplug replug the Ethernet cable till you do.
When you get internet connect the PC/laptop to your router and login go to internet/WAN settings find clone MAC to copy you PC/laptop MAC to your router.
Now connect the router to the hub and it should work.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
La86
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Managed to get it working by cloning the MAC address.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos