Menu
CavershamDave
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Installing a router problem

Hi there,

I'm looking for help in installing a router. I managed to put the Hub 3 into modem mode, after which the light went from green to red. I wondered whether this was the right colour, which I understand is magenta, but carried on after I'd left it for 10 minutes to installing the router (Honor Router 3).

This didn't work. I did have a wifi booster installed which I removed to no avail. I have now reset the Hub as the router.

I would be grateful if anyone can offer some advice.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installing a router problem

@CavershamDave wrote:

Hi there,

I'm looking for help in installing a router. I managed to put the Hub 3 into modem mode, after which the light went from green to red. I wondered whether this was the right colour, which I understand is magenta, but carried on after I'd left it for 10 minutes to installing the router (Honor Router 3).

This didn't work. I did have a wifi booster installed which I removed to no avail. I have now reset the Hub as the router.

I would be grateful if anyone can offer some advice.

In what way did it not work?

The LED is supposed to be 'magenta' in modem mode, but mine looks red (many people have noted this).

It can be challenging to get the hub working in modem mode - I had to reboot mine several times and tell it twice....

You then have to connect the router correctly and set the 'internet' parameters properly - often setting to 'DHCP'

I had to reboot my hub, in modem mode, a further time to 'kick' the Virgin DHCP server and acquire a WAN side IP address on my router (a D-Link model).

Did you follow these steps as suggested by another community member;

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The booster should make no difference (though it's sensible to unplug as much stuff as you can).

Do you have a laptop that you can plug into the working LAN side port of the hub when it's in modem mode (instead of the router). ?   That's what I'd do if necessary - you can check you have obtained a public IP address and can surf the internet.

You should be able to reach the hub on 192.168.100.1 when it's in modem mode to check its status.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
CavershamDave
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the detailed help provided - I will try this tomorrow. Really interesting to hear how difficult the modem set up can be.

0 Kudos