cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a Mesh system

alanflem
Tuning in

Hi,

Going to install TP-Link Deco X20 AX1800 system tomorrow.  I have a hub 4.  Do I put it into modem mode or not?.  Anything else to consider?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

@alanflem wrote:

Hi,

Going to install TP-Link Deco X20 AX1800 system tomorrow.  I have a hub 4.  Do I put it into modem mode or not?.  Anything else to consider?

thanks

1. Put HUB in modem mode. When it's rebooted fully power back off.
  2. Ensure only one ethernet cable is plugged into the HUB (Any port should be ok), and connect to the TP-Link's WAN port.
  3. Power on HUB.
  4. Power on TP-Link.
  5. If no internet connection found reboot HUB.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally I would put it in modem mode, you need to consider that you cannot use the hubs Ethernet ports bar the one going to the deco

carl_pearce
Community elder

@alanflem wrote:

Hi,

thanks

1. Put HUB in modem mode. When it's rebooted fully power back off.
  2. Ensure only one ethernet cable is plugged into the HUB (Any port should be ok), and connect to the TP-Link's WAN port.
  3. Power on HUB.
  4. Power on TP-Link.
  5. If no internet connection found reboot HUB.

Great.  Thanks.  Will do.

@alanflem wrote:

Great.  Thanks.  Will do.

Oh and another 'trick' is to set the SSID and key/password on the TP-Link to match the HUB so when you swap over all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

That makes sense.

thanks again.

I'm considering going down the mesh route.  Would you recommend the deco

Can I ask where all of my wired devices would get their ip addresses from with the HUB 4 in Modem Mode or have I missed something obvious here?

The third party router or mesh system would allocate IP addresses to all your devices.

brightonjohn
Fibre optic

Ah, I didn't see where you mentioned a third party router or is it, in fact, not required?