Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Installing BT Home Wifi with VM Superhub 2

Hi all. I am not tech savvy at all but have installed a NAS at home previously so can do more than just use MS Office programs to give an idea of my level.

I am awaiting a BT Home Wifi set (3 discs) and just been reading online about installation - sounds like it could be a nightmare with my lack of knowledge.

Will I just be able to leave the router running as normal and just set up the mesh discs and away I go, happily using wifi or do I need to do something to the router first? (e.g. put in modem mode or turn wifi off)

I was planning to change SSID and password on BT mesh to my old routers SSID and password in the hope all devices already connected will just continue running as normal and connect to the BT discs as and when necessary. Am I right or being naive?

Getting a bit worried that I have bitten off more than I can chew!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installing BT Home Wifi with VM Superhub 2

I have the Whole Home system and it works extremely well.  You still use the Hub as the router. If you have any problems with installation just come back to this thread. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds like I can just set up and go with no fuss then which is awesome.

What about changing SSID and password on the mesh discs to the same as my current VM router? Will it/should it work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't see why not.

You will of course need to turn the Hub's WiFi off. 

There is a BT help forum if you need it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Right. See, this is where my knowledge falls down.

If I set a new SSID and password then for the mesh discs, and connect all devices from scratch, can I still keep the VM router running with old SSID and password and just leave the old router as normal in router nice with WiFi on? Just want minimum fuss really and it  worries me to start messing with the VM router settings.

Sorry for the questions, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Right. See, this is where my knowledge falls down.

If I set a new SSID and password then for the mesh discs, and connect all devices from scratch, can I still keep the VM router running with old SSID and password and just leave the old router as normal in router mode with WiFi on? Just want minimum fuss really and it  worries me to start messing with the VM router settings.

Sorry for the questions, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I see BT has rebranded the product from Whole Home when I bought it, to just BT Home. But it seems to be the same device.

It is not a router, but a multiple access point. So it needs a router - the one in your VM hub.

To use it you leave the VM hub in router mode as it comes, but just turn off the WiFi to avoid a clash with the Home.  That's a simple setting in the hub.  The SSID settings from the Hub will disappear, but there's no reason why you can't set the Home to the same SSID and password that you used for the Hub, so all your devices will recognise it and log on as before.

You just connect the first disc to the VM Hub with an ethernet cable, and follow the app guide to site the other discs in the optimum places. I actually have five discs, three within the house, one in the garage and one in an outhouse to cover the garden.   Probably overkill now that 4G coverage is so good, but I could so I did!  Those last two discs have WiFi CCTV cameras plugged into their ethernet ports, because the cameras' own WiFi is rather weak. 

The BT help forum is here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/bd-p/BTDevices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's really helpful. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Thanks for the advice and info. All setup and working like a dream, touch wood. Strangely, I'm getting faster speeds now through the BT discs than I did when sat right next to the VM Superhub!? Great purchase. Haven't even needed to turn router WiFi off. Just renamed BT Home different to VM. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Generally speaking, if you change any of your SSID or password, most devices connected wirelessly, can get disconnected. 

0 Kudos