cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation very shabby

Derek50
Tuning in

Got my new gig1 connection installed today and although so far it's working, I fear it might not continue. The installer left cables hanging out in a bit of a state outside. Quite disgusted actually. I'm quite sure they cables could be easily pulled out and not to mention the gaping hole in the wall and the cable tie holding the brown box together. I want this rectified or I'll cancel my contract.

1000005875.jpg

1000005874.jpg

1000005872.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It looks like the cables are far too long for the job and hence the cable is not wound around the spool inside the brown omnibox and the poorly fitting lid.  Also the hole in the wall, should at the very minimum, have been sealed with silicon.  A very poor job indeed.  A definite re-visit will be required by VM technicians to fix this up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Derek50
Tuning in

Could anyone provide any feedback to me on the state of this install? Any ideas what the small green block is in the first photo? Should it be exposed to the elements? The brown box isn't even shut properly, it is jammed against the openreach box slightly ajar. Any idea why these cables aren't inside the box? Why so much spare? There is a neighbour across the road who had an install done a few weeks back, it's a polar opposite to mine. Only cable visible is one running very tidily vertically and into the wall, it's all nicely clipped to the wall as well. A cover plate over the entry hole. The internal junction box the guy put in my living room is powered, so the cable coming in which isn't anchored outside going into this could be pulled out of a powered unit, that's surely not safe. I imagine my neighbour got a decent engineer who works to a proper standard. I work in engineering, not telecoms though, but if a small guide had been given to me I think I could have done the job 99% better myself. The guy who turned up at my house looked as if he hadn't much of a clue what he was doing to be honest, after taking half an hour making phone calls walking up and down the street before he even started. Mumbling about the "pre install guys not leaving a label, so wasn't sure what kit to use". I should have checked outside before he left, his last words before going out my house was, "that's you all done, I'll just tidy up the cabling outside now and that's me, bye". I foolishly look they words literally. I've managed, after a tricky phone call, to make an appointment get someone to come back next week. Ive  read some of the horror stories regarding Virgin, but I thought it cant be that bad. Hope it's not as I'm still in cool-off period and I've not cancelled my (albeit much slower) BT yet!

Ugh that's bordering on criminal damage. There is an official guide for VM installation (albeit for coax and new builds) and it does show the correct external presentation and the incorrect one. Unfortunately yours is currently worse than the "incorrect" version. The VM team should be able to help.

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It looks like the cables are far too long for the job and hence the cable is not wound around the spool inside the brown omnibox and the poorly fitting lid.  Also the hole in the wall, should at the very minimum, have been sealed with silicon.  A very poor job indeed.  A definite re-visit will be required by VM technicians to fix this up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Derek50
Tuning in

Cheers for the replies guys. Hopefully the engineer comes on Thursday and does a proper,correct, "take 2". I'll be keeping a keen eye on this time. Oh, and I hope the first guy gets his anus kicked swiftly and bluntly 😀

Derek50
Tuning in

I clicked on an icon that says I found answers helpful, not that my issue is solved. Just incase any moderators are checking this thread.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Derek50 

Thanks for your response and my apologies for the inconvenience

Keep us updated with how that technician visit goes, thank you for your patience with this.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Derek50
Tuning in

A good lad attended earlier today and tidied up the installation mess. It just goes to show it's just your luck who does your install. Maybe simple things like feedback forms and getting an info card from engineer in attendance would identify gaps in skills/training and give opportunity for appreciation as well. Anyway I'm happy now, thanks for sorting that out, cheers

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Glad you got it sorted.!

Hi Derek50 👋

Thank you for returning to the thread to keep us updated and let us know about the improved experience with your return appointment!  Really pleased to hear it is now sorted. 

We also appreciate your feedback and ideas regarding how to improve this. We can pass this on internally for you!

Let us know if there is anything else outstanding you need our help and support with. Wishing you all the best! 🌞

Molly